Chapter Fifteen: Michael

Note to self: never try to flirt with Mel Howard. It took me thirty minutes to get home and even by then, I was still soaking wet from the water she threw in my face. Honestly, I totally deserved it, but it still came as a shock. And to make matters worse, because I wasn't already feeling enough like a fool, Stephen was sitting on the porch when I got home, and he took one look at me and burst out laughing. "Woah! Did you fall into a lake?" I sighed and shook my head. "Worse. I tried to get this girl to go out with me." That only made Stephen laugh harder. "A simple 'no' wouldn't have sufficed?" "Oh, she said 'no' all right. But I kept asking her and before I knew it, I got a face full of water."

I hadn't really meant the things I said to Aiden's sister. It was all part of my "asking a girl out" plan that clearly went horribly wrong. All that teasing, baiting, and flirting was how I got girls to agree to go out with me before. A little flirting and they'd start blushing and giggling. A little teasing and they would become even more interested. A little baiting and they went out with me almost because it felt like a challenge. One they were more than willing to take up. My methods were never failing. And since sweet and subtle didn't seem to be working, I decided to try my go-to's on Aiden's sister, thinking that she would be all over me just like every other girl I flirted with.

But I was way wrong. Aiden wasn't kidding when he said his sister didn't like to date. And now I'd probably ruined everything, including any chance I had at winning this wager. Stephen came over and put a hand on my shoulder. "Dude, you probably should have listened when she turned you down." I glared at him. "No kidding. Now she hates me. And I don't blame her." Stephen sighed. "I'm sure she doesn't hate you." I gave him a disbelieving look and he nodded. "Okay, yes, she threw water at you. That doesn't really scream 'I'm into you!' But I think you just need to approach this a different way." "What do you mean?" I asked, confused. "Well, clearly, she doesn't want to date you. But if you really like her, then make things right. Apologize, and maybe try just being her friend first?" I rolled my eyes at him.

"That's stupid." "Really? Because when Camille and I first met, I was way into her. But she wasn't so into me. I laid on the charm real thick until I realized that no matter how charming I was, she wasn't going to change her mind. But I knew she was special, and I still wanted to get to know her. So, I relaxed, and we started to hang out as friends. We became really close that way, got to form a real and genuine connection. And over time, things grew into something more. And now look at us! Seven years later and we're still going strong!" That was true. My brother and his girlfriend have been together for a long time. And even after all these years, they were still as in love as they were when they first started dating. So, maybe Stephen had a point. But, knowing how my brother got anytime anyone gave him any sort of validation, I only said, "Wow, you guys have been dating for seven years already?" He nodded. "Yup!" "And still no ring?"

Stephen thwacked the back of my head and rolled his eyes. "I can't imagine why that girl didn't want to go out with you. If you don't want to take my advice, fine. Don't. But if that girl gets away and you end up sad and lonely and bitter, you'll only have yourself to blame." He opened the front door of the house. "Anyway, you want to order pizza or something for dinner? Dad's out with Marina so it's just you and me." I shrugged. "Sure, just let me change my shirt first."

As I headed upstairs to my room, I thought about what my brother said. Try to get to know Aiden's sister as a friend first. It made sense. But I didn't have time for that, Tony would be way ahead of me by then. Then again, my flirting and jerk act wasn't going to get me anywhere. Clearly. Maybe Stephen was right. Maybe if I didn't try so hard, I would have a better chance with her. But first, I needed to figure out how in the world I was going to apologize. Heck, if I were her, I wouldn't even forgive me. But I needed to do something to make it up to her.