𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒊𝒙

Every day inside the Cameron estate felt like walking a tightrope. One wrong move, one misstep, and I knew it could all come crashing down. But the longer I was there, the more determined I became. I wasn't just a maid, blending into the background. I was a spy, an investigator, and I was getting closer — closer to uncovering what had happened to Alden.

But with that determination came fear. The Camerons weren't just wealthy; they were powerful, connected, and dangerous. And Rafe? Rafe was more unpredictable than I'd ever imagined. I couldn't afford to let my guard down around him, not for a second.

Every time I saw him, every time we crossed paths, he found some way to get under my skin, to remind me that I didn't belong here. His insults, his jabs — they were all meant to keep me in my place. But I wouldn't let him.

I had a mission, and no matter how much he tried to throw me off course, I wasn't going to let him win.

The days passed in a blur of routine and careful observation. Mrs. Redmond had me working in various parts of the house, and while I was supposed to be focused on cleaning and maintaining the estate, I was constantly keeping my eyes and ears open. I'd walk through the halls with a feather duster in hand, pretending to polish the already gleaming surfaces, but my mind was elsewhere, memorizing every inch of the place.

I mapped out the rooms in my head, noting where people tended to congregate, which areas were quiet and deserted, and where the security cameras were placed. I needed to know every possible route through the house, every hiding spot. And I had to be ready to act quickly if I overheard something important.

Ward and Rafe's voices had become like background noise in my mind, their conversations always tense, always laced with anger or frustration. Ward was constantly berating Rafe for something, and Rafe, in his usual way, would snap back, defending himself with that same edge of defiance.

Most of the time, their conversations were about business — things I couldn't make sense of, deals that went over my head. But sometimes, I'd catch snippets that sent a chill down my spine. Things like Ward telling Rafe to "keep things quiet" or "clean up the mess."

It didn't take a genius to figure out that they were involved in something shady, something dangerous. And my gut told me that whatever it was, it had everything to do with Alden.

I'd strain my ears, desperate to hear more, but I couldn't risk being caught lurking. So I'd continue my work, pretending to be focused on my duties while my mind raced with the possibilities. Every time I passed Ward's office or Rafe's room, I wondered what secrets were hidden behind those closed doors. What were they hiding? And how far would they go to protect it?

It was a few days later when Mrs. Redmond came to me with a new task. I was wiping down the windows in the dining room when she approached, her expression as stern as always.

"Veronica," she said, her voice clipped, "I need you to clean Mr. Rafe Cameron's room today."

I froze, the rag still in my hand, my heart skipping a beat.

Rafe's room? That had always been off-limits. It was no secret that Rafe didn't want me anywhere near his personal space. He'd made it abundantly clear from day one that I wasn't welcome in his life, let alone his room.

But Mrs. Redmond didn't give me a choice. She handed me a set of keys and a stern look. "He's out with his friends for the afternoon, so you won't be disturbed. Get it done quickly and thoroughly. Understood?"

I nodded, my throat dry. "Yes, ma'am."

She gave me a final nod before turning and walking away, leaving me standing there, my mind spinning. This was my chance. My heart raced with a mix of excitement and fear. I couldn't afford to waste this opportunity. I had to be careful, but I had to act fast.