Chapter 2

Droplets of sewage splashed onto the man's boots as he walked down the narrow alleyway. 

He had taken this path to get home from work a million times before. Yet, on this particular night he felt slightly unsettled. He blamed it on the fact that he was later than usual, and the alleyway was completely deserted. Every sound was magnified in the silence; the drops of water, the scurrying of the rats.

The man felt a sense of foreboding again. He knew that it wasn't safe to travel alone at this hour. There were pickpockets, gangs, and other desperate souls who were prepared to go to any lengths to get a scrap of food. But he was a tall man of intimidating appearance; he could handle a few ruffians. At least, that was what he kept saying to himself. 

Double, double

As he turned a corner, he saw a shadow rush past in the corner of his eye. The man stopped in his tracks, overcome by a sudden, unexplained fear.

Toil and trouble

And then, he could hear it. Someone was singing. It unnerved him for some reason, and he felt as if it was coming from inside his head. It was just one line, followed by silence. He forced himself to move his feet. Very slowly, he took a step backwards. The moment his foot hit the cobblestone ground, he heard the singing, only it was louder and faster. 

FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE

It was the suddenness of the voice that urged the man to start running. He moved his legs as fast as he could, not aware of what direction he was headed, only trying to get away from whatever was terrifying him. The harrowing sound of a slightly out-of-tune accordion started to accompany the singing.

BY THE PRICKLING OF MY THUMBS

He spotted a nearby well, and on some strange instinct, ran up to it and clambered up onto its rim. This was illogical, but the fear made him want to go to any lengths to escape. He glanced at the ice-cold water a the bottom of the well. He almost felt like jumping in. 

The music stopped. 

The man did not dare move and stood there precariously on the edge on the well. And, then he felt a soft breath on his ear and something cold against his neck. 

'Something wicked this way comes.'

***

-Ciel-

By the time the girl was presentable, it was time for supper. The Earl, was of course, most curious about the nature of her presence, and more particularly, the letter that came with her. But it would have to wait for after supper, as Sebastian had most annoyingly pointed out. He was right, of course. Keeping in mind the famed hospitality of the Phantomhives, it would be more appropriate to feed one's guest, before interrogating them.

Ciel strode into the dining hall to find the girl already seated. It looked like Mey-Rin had managed to get hold of a dress for her. Judging from the amount of ruffles and bows on the thing, the dress must have belonged to Lizzie.

The girl looked extremely uncomfortable, as if she wasn't used to wearing dresses. He still couldn't figure out whether she was nobility or not. It would make sense if she was, since she came bearing such an important letter. However, the way she was slouching in her seat, looking incredibly out of place, made him think otherwise.

He had heard her speak, so he knew she was English, however something about her suggested that she was of mixed- race. Her skin was a pale, but not as pale as other English women.

He seated himself at the head of the table, and he saw her straightening herself up in the corner of his eye. He could tell that she was anxious and wanted to say something.