Vocabulary | Specific Word Choice

• Words in Arabic language are broken down into:- Noun اِسْم- Verb فِعْل- Preposition حَرْف

- Noun اِسْم
- Verb فِعْل
- Preposition حَرْف

أَعوذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيطٰنِ الرَّجيم.

A'ūdhu أعوذ :
• This is a verb.
• It is the present tense form of the word عاذَ. It means to be careful and wary, guarding and being rescued.
It's Legislative meaning: to flee from that which you fear will harm you to that which will safeguard you from it.

Bī - ِب :
• It's a preposition.
• It has multiple linguistic meanings:

1. Seeking Aid.
Example: بَدَأتُ فعلا باللهِ
I began/started an action Seeking His aid.

2. Seeking blessing.
Blessing - بَرَكَة
• Favour/blessing - نِعْمَة

Difference between بركة & نعمة:
- Barakah: increases and it's constant.

- N'imah: a favour that is bestowed upon you, a person can use it for his benefit or he could waste it away.

Example: living close to the Masjid, it's a N'imah because a person can easily walk and pray there. However there's an option, he could take this opportunity and take advantage or not go there.

3. Companionship
Example: I traveled with Muhammad (or accompanied with) سَفَرتُ بِمحمد.

> In this context of أعوذ بالله all three meanings of بِ is applied.

Min مِن - from: it is a preposition.

Ash-Shaytān الشيطان :
• Iblees is his name while Shaytān is his title.
• This word is derived from شَطَنَ, to be distanced, and that is because he is far removed from any good.
• Shaytān could be from amongst the Jinn and human beings.

Evidence: Surah Naas, 6.

Additional Benefit: in Surah Naas, Shaytān is called Al-Khannās because he retreats when a servant remembers Allāh but when he forgets, the devil returns.

Additional Benefit: As-Sudoor الصدور, the heart is singled out because it is the king of the body. The heart has more authority over the brain.

Ar-Rajeem الرجيم :
• This word follows the form of Maf'ool مَفعول and it means Marjoom مَرْجوم; to be accursed .
Arabic principle: Any attribute which follows the form of Fa'eel فَعيل, the meaning is Maf'ool which means an action that's being acted upon. That attribute is being acted upon.