chapter 6: happier than ever

Third person pov:

A week after their candlelit dinner, Charlotte and Mia were settling into a new rhythm together. Their relationship had grown naturally, and both felt content, enjoying the quiet moments they shared. One evening, as they were lounging on the couch, there was a knock at the door.

“I’ll get it,” Mia said, getting up with a curious glance at Charlotte, who shrugged.

When she opened the door, there stood Marjorie, holding a bottle of wine and wearing a wide grin.

“Surprise!” Marjorie said, waving the wine bottle playfully. “I thought I’d drop by and bring something for my two favorite people.”

Mia laughed and opened the door wider. “Marjorie, you didn’t have to. But I’m glad you did.”

Charlotte sat up from the couch, a smile spreading across her face when she saw Marjorie. “Hey, Marjorie! This is a nice surprise.”

“I thought you two could use a little midweek treat,” Marjorie said as she walked in. “Plus, I haven’t seen either of you in a while, and I’ve been dying to hear how things are going.”

Mia took the bottle from her and grabbed three wine glasses. “Let’s make a night of it then. Sit down, we’ll get comfy.”

They all settled on the couch, with Marjorie between Mia and Charlotte, her presence instantly filling the room with warmth and familiarity. Charlotte felt a sense of gratitude; Marjorie had been there for her through so much, and now, she was one of the few people who knew about the budding relationship between her and Mia.

“So,” Marjorie began, after taking a sip of wine, “how’s it been going for you two? I can see the glow on your faces, so I’m assuming it’s going well.”

Charlotte blushed slightly, glancing at Mia, who smiled at her. “Yeah, it’s been really good. We’re taking things slow, but it feels right.”

Mia nodded in agreement. “Charlotte’s been amazing. We’ve just been enjoying the time together.”

Marjorie grinned knowingly. “I had a feeling things would work out. You both deserve this—something that feels good and safe.”

They clinked their glasses together in a casual toast, and the conversation flowed easily. Marjorie told them about the latest antics at the nursery, sharing funny stories about the kids, and the three of them laughed together, enjoying the easy company.

"Reeces been asking about you two,” Marjorie said at one point, turning to Charlotte. “He’s been wanting to come over to see how your getting on char”

Charlotte smiled warmly. “I miss him. I’ll have to set something up soon.”

As the evening went on, the wine flowed, and the atmosphere became even more relaxed. Marjorie leaned back into the cushions, a playful grin on her face. “I always knew something was there between you two, even before you realized it.”

Mia laughed, shaking her head. “You were the first one to catch on, weren’t you?”

Marjorie nodded smugly. “Of course! I have a sixth sense about these things.”

Charlotte rolled her eyes but smiled. “I guess we’re lucky you were right.”

After a while, as the conversation slowed and the wine glasses emptied, Marjorie glanced at her watch. “Alright, lovebirds, I think I’ve crashed your evening long enough. I’ll leave you two to your quiet night.”

“No way, you’re always welcome here,” Charlotte said warmly. “But thanks for coming by, Marjorie. This was fun.”

Mia walked Marjorie to the door while Charlotte tidied up the wine glasses. As she opened the door, Mia pulled her into a hug. “Thanks for coming by, Marjorie. And thanks for always being there for Charlotte.”