Chapter Two

The morning after the dinner, the house felt unusually quiet. It was the kind of stillness that comes after a long night, when everyone is too tired to talk much or process what happened. But for me, the quiet didn't offer any peace. I lay in bed for a long time, staring at the ceiling, my mind replaying the moments from the evening over and over, especially those last few minutes with Adrian in the kitchen.

There was something unsettling about the way he had looked at me—something careful, restrained. He had always been serious, always the one to follow the rules, to keep things calm and orderly. But last night, for the first time, I saw a flicker of something else in him. It wasn't desire—not yet—but it was curiosity, and that was enough for me.

I wanted him to see me. Truly see me.

But I had to go slowly. Adrian wasn't a man who could be swayed by impulse or flattery. He was careful, deliberate, the kind of man who weighed every decision before making it. And most of all, he was loyal. Loyal to Evelyn, to the life they had built together. I knew I couldn't rush this—it had to be a slow burn, something that simmered just beneath the surface until it became impossible for him to ignore.

I slipped out of bed and made my way to the window, pulling back the curtains. The morning sun was already high, casting a soft, golden light over the yard. My parents had planned another dinner with Evelyn and Adrian, something informal this time—barbecue out in the garden, a way to relax after the formality of last night. I wasn't sure if I was ready to see him again so soon, but part of me was eager for it. I wanted to test the waters, to see if the tension I felt last night was still there, or if it had been a fleeting moment, something he had already buried beneath his sense of duty.

I dressed slowly, choosing a simple outfit—white linen shorts and a pale blue blouse that tied at the waist. Nothing too bold, nothing that screamed for attention. I wanted to be subtle, to blend in but still catch his eye in the way I knew I could.

When I finally made my way downstairs, the house was already stirring with activity. My mother was in the kitchen, preparing a tray of drinks, and I could hear my father outside setting up the grill.

"Morning," my mother said, glancing up as I entered the room. "Did you sleep well?"

"Well enough," I lied, smiling slightly. "What's the plan for today?"

"Oh, just something casual," she said, waving a hand. "Evelyn and Adrian will be here soon. We thought we'd just spend the day outside, have some drinks, enjoy the weather. You should go help your father set up."

I nodded, taking the tray of drinks from her and stepping outside into the garden. My father was fussing with the grill, trying to get the charcoal to light. Ethan was already lounging in a chair by the patio, still half-asleep despite the late hour. Everything seemed normal, routine. But I knew the moment Adrian arrived, that feeling would shift again, like it had last night.

The hours passed slowly as we prepared for the day. I moved between setting the table and helping my mother with the food, but my mind was elsewhere, always hovering on the edge of anticipation. I tried not to think about it too much, tried to keep myself focused on the tasks at hand, but every time I heard a car pass by, my heart quickened in my chest, thinking it might be them.

And then, finally, it was.

I heard the crunch of gravel as their car pulled into the driveway, and I had to stop myself from rushing to the front door like an eager child. Instead, I steadied myself, taking a slow breath before casually walking out to the garden just as Evelyn and Adrian emerged from their car. Evelyn, as usual, looked perfectly put together in a summer dress and wide-brimmed hat. She smiled brightly as she waved to us, her presence as vibrant as always.