Chapter 4

I was on my way to my room when I met  an unexpected guest waiting for me. Lady Mysaria, the Marquis' daughter. Although I've been absent from social events, I always made an effort to remain up to date with the happenings in high society. Lady Mysaria is a contender for the position of crown princess making her and lady Celeste rivals for the throne. That being said, the reason she came here is clear as day. The daughter from a lords family that suddenly popped up in high society without having debut yet but still holds enough influence to be at the banquet, this must have sparked her curiosity. She probably had someone watch me then followed me here. Thank goodness I hadn't reached my room yet. Staring at her, I could see the degrading look in her eyes, she looked down on me in a passive aggressive manner as if to assert her dominance. She probably wants to use me as a pawn to secure her position as crown princess. An unknown noble lady of weak origins. Barely a noble at all. As she smirked looking confident and sure of herself, I could see the wheels turning in that pretty little head of hers. I waited for her to speak first and put on a timid look,  looking down  at the floor fidgeting. 'what's your name' she said curtly with a touch of arrogance in her tone. 'M-m my name i-is Eleanore. Nice to meet you!' I stated while putting on a show of being a naive and timid little fool. "I'm lady Mysaria of the house of Marquis Langton. Let's be friends" she said going straight to the point. She's rushing this interaction. She must not think I'm worth the effort and time. I thought to myself smirking internally. "O-okay" I stuttered. "Are you going to  attending the royal academy" she asked with dead pan face. "Y-yes!" I answered briefly. She smirked again except this time more obviously. She then gave me a card with her address and some other information and told me to contact her once I gained admission. She then walked away leaving me feeling annoyed. "Is she just stupid or what?" I muttered to myself. She didn't even ask what I was doing here, no, she doesn't care as long as she can use me. Still, she's not one to be messed with. If I'm going to use and take advantage of her, then I'm going to need a safety net in case things go wrong. I went to my room and made a list of potential allies based on their position, class and the limited knowledge I have of them. I need someone in a higher position than me, easy to manipulate, desperate and powerful. So far there are nine candidates who fit this description. I'll need to go to the academy and see for myself then narrow them down to three based on what I find. The final three will serve as safety nets and keep each other in check. I spent the next three weeks planning everything and tying up any lose ends in preparation for my departure to the royal academy. Mother allocated my monthly allowance for the academy as per my request, I received a letter saying I would get  *five thousand kwons every month (about ten thousand dollars). This may seem like a fair amount of money at first glance, but the standard amount for a lady of any noble house is  at least *fifty thousand kwons (about one hundred thousand dollars) per month. Even then most noble houses try to out do each other by going way above the standard. With this measly amount of money, I can barely afford a plain gown of good quality. I expected as much from her. I thought to myself as I smirked. Just then, another later came in through my window tied to a birds leg. It's was the Dutchess Dowager's assigned allowance, *one hundred and fifty thousand kwons (three hundred thousand dollars). I smirked, "you can do better than this old hag" I sighed. One hundred and fifty thousand kwons can buy me three luxurious and well adorned dresses but that's about it. I'm kinda pissed now. Oh well, it's better than nothing. Mother found out about my admission into the royal academy through the Dutchess Dowager, she informed mother over letter and she reportedly trashed the manor in anger. Mother remained stagnant after that and pretty much left me alone. My request for allowance must have further frustrated her. It's no wonder she  gave me salary of a miner as an allowance. The Dutchess Dowager isn't particularly fond of me either, she's only helping me as a deceleration that she's going against mother and so I can graduate, debut as a lords daughter and cut ties from the Duke's family, saving the house from the embarrassment of producing a half commoner. This measly allowance is her reminder that we're not allies but rather, a queen and her pawn. I'm so sick of people looking down on me. I'll endure for now. I'll bide my time and climb up the ladder slowly, one step at a time until I get to the very top. From there, I'll look down on all of them too. I'll use and manipulate everyone around me if I have to and I'll never be looked down on again.