Chapter 2

I knew from the start I wouldn't like my junior year. I trusted my gut on that. Class was pure boredom as I underwent seventy-two torturing minutes of each class everyday. I was sure junior year would fly by fast. Boy, was I wrong.

Everyday was just another ordinary day till I met Diamond and Angel. They were probably the only ones who accepted me of who I was...besides Jacob. I had decided on moving on with my life and leaving behind Jacob. That morning, as I was walking to my History class, Diamond and Angel caught up to me and linked hands with me. Upon feeling their touch, I cringed and avoided making eye contact. I knew they were going to tease me or embarass me in front of the whole school. I pushed away from their grip and raced to my lockers. "Hey, wait up!" I heard Angel call. Her strawberry blonde hair swayed back and forth as she raced after me. I stopped abruptly and glared at them. "What do you want?" I spat. They grinned at me sheepishly and said in unison," Wanna be friends?" I glanced at them suspiciously. How could I trust them? I thought. No one had ever said anything like that to me before...except Jacob. But he didn't count anymore. He belonged to my past. I slowly nodded. Just as I nodded, Diamond placed a pale hand on my shoulder and with a mischievous grin asked me, "Wanna come to our party tomorrow night? We could pick you up." I looked up at her face that was clouded with heavy makeup. Trying to act cool in front of my new friends I said coolly, "Why not?" Angel jumped up and down with glee. They hugged me while I stood there paralyzed. I patted their backs awkwardly as they left. My mind was racing. I have friends?!?!?! OMG... What am I going to wear for the party?? Will I even be going to the party...? I haven't even asked mom... My parents have never been in my life. Mom was off to Singapore with a new job and dad moved to Colorado with his new girlfriend and her spoiled daughter, Jessi. Thunk. I bumped into someone or something. "Watch where you're-" I stopped. It was Jacob. He looked surprised and a bit disappointed. "Claire." I didn't wait to hear what he was going to say next. I pushed past him and mumbled something that went into the lines of "sorry." I dared to look behind me and saw Jacob slumped watching me; his cane poking into empty space.