Ch. 3- The Heart (1935)

"Scarlet!" Ms. Harvard shouted across the foster home. I quickly got up from my bed; shoot, I overslepted.

I scrambled into my usual outfit and ran to where I thought she would be. For once, she was standing at the desk, and she did not look happy, which wasn't really new.

Then I noticed that there was a family standing by the door, smiling at me. I felt a little creeped out by it, but at least they weren't frowning, something I recieved often from other children. After the princess picture event, I was well liked among my fellow peers, but soon thereafter, when I started to talk about my past with children I came to trust, they shifted awkwardly and didn't talk to me again afterwards. I cried often, alone, in my room; no one had been moved into it after I settled down. The kids I had grown apart from told other children about me and my tragedies, and no one would play with me in the morning or talk to me at mealtime. Today, I question why they didn't want to be near me after I told them about myself. Maybe they thought I would only talk about myself, or maybe they didn't want to be with a girl with a past like mine, but that didn't make much sense since other children were bound to have worse; perhaps they just didn't talk about it like I foolishly had.

"Yes?" My voice was small, I was embarrassed to be in front of so many people, especially because I thought I was in trouble.

"These lovely people would like to be your family for a little while, and possibly even forever," Ms. Harvard said with a smile, though it looked forced. A family for a little while? It didn't sound right. Why would they only let me be in their family for a little while? Shouldn't a family accept a member forever? After all, I wasn't just a new item you could try out for a bit and then return later. Oh, how naive I was, so innocent and ignorant.

"Has she had her shots?" The mother asked, looking me over. I could feel the color rising to my cheeks at that.

"Here are her medical records," Ms. Harvard said showing the woman multiple official looking documents.

I waited for about a half an hour before the mother seemed convinced I wasn't contagious. I waited like I had the first day I got here, quiet and looking towards the floor near the edge of the desk; it seemed neverending.

Finally, the family agreed they would be my foster family for three months and they would determine if I would be worthy of adoption.

"Go get your things together," Ms. Harvard said. When I didn't move right away she added, "Now!"

I hurried off and packed my only pajamas and other outfit along with my drawing supplies, which were running low, my doll, and my princess picture.

"Bye," I said to Ms. Harvard as I went with the family, which consisted of an older brother, older sister, younger brother, father, and mother. She grimaced and waved awkwardly; I sure wouldn't miss her.

"Come on, Scarlet," The mother said, as the family turned to leave. I hesitated to go with them and Ms. Harvard noticed, although she did not say anything, she only gave me looks and gestures.

I decided it was best if I left that way maybe I could make new friends, and I would make sure they heard nothing about my past. Perhaps this whole new family thing would be alright.

~

The family, whose last name I learned was Hollis, was... alright at first, at least that's what I had believed when I was younger... but they scarred me for life later on.

"So sweetie... how was your time in the foster home?" I honestly did not think that was a good question to ask a little girl. Foster homes, from what I've learned, have been good physically to the children who must be there, but they're not exactly good mentally on a child. Getting rejected by your own family is enough to get you down, but when you are rejected by multiple other families, it takes a toll on you. And that's not even the children there. When one kid has to go back to a home because they weren't good enough, they start to take it out on the only people they can: the other kids, and more than likely, younger kids. A child's psyche can be damaged significantly by just one experience, and for it to happen multiple times (bullying), can leave a permanent mental scar, which the child will have throughout their life.

"Okay," I said in a small voice. It really hadn't been all that bad, for the most part.

"So what are your interests?" The father asked as he drove the car.

"Drawing," I said quickly, then blushing slightly. He chuckled and I felt my heart drop.

"So you're going to become an artist?" He asked laughing this time. The mother herself laughed, too. You must understand that I was very sensitive when I was younger and to be laughed at like that for just saying something I liked to do was a big blow. I never drew again after that, but I still held onto my princess drawing.

"Come on, what else do you like to do?" The mother asked.

"Nothing..." I replied looking out the window.

"We'll get you a new hobby, don't worry about that," The older brother said, punching my arm lightly. He seemed alright, but I was weary of the physical contact.

~

Once we got to the family's house, the mother said I had to wait for everyone to get out of the car, and then I could come out. I was confused at first, but obliged anyways. I later learned it was because she didn't want the neighbors to think that I was a part of the family because I was only temporary.

"Scarlet, dear, darling, honey, you will be sleeping in the attic," I nodded as she led me to the stairs that led to the loft. "Do not call for us if the stairs are not down, we will come eventually to let you down for an evening meal," She said descending down the stairs then folding them up so I was trapped. I dropped my bag down on the floor and looked around my environment.

There were a few boxes and random items scattered about, but it was empty for the most part. Light poured in from a small window, so it was at least able to see in the room. The only downsides were that it was freezing and stuffy. There was a small bed and an extra blanket for me, so I crawled into the bed, mostly to get warm, but also to see how comfortable it was; hard as a rock. There wasn't even a pillow, but I suppose I shouldn't be complaining... they provided me with shelter after all.

~

After getting situated and discovering some of the things that were in my new room, I decided to pull my princess drawing out. I gazed down at it and smiled. One day, I thought then put it away. It was enough to get my mood up. I decided I should check out the boxes in the room because there wasn't much else to do, and I had no idea when I would be let down to dinner. Just as I was looking in an old one called Wedding, I heard the stairs to the attic being brought down.

"Scarlet, dear," The mother said as she climbed the stairs up. I lifted up a trinket made of glass that was in the shape of a heart out of the box and tried to give it to her to show I was grateful to be a part of the family.

She screamed, startling me, and making me drop it. It shattered into a million pieces. She just stared down at it with the widest eyes I had ever seen a person have.

"Get out! Get the hell out of my house!" She screamed at me and pointed towards the stairs furiously. I grabbed my bag, made sure I put my picture in it and put it on, then went down the stairs as fast as I could. The father and children looked down the hallway as I ran up to the father and hugged his leg. Everyone was clearly confused about all the fuss the mother had made. I shut my eyes tightly as she backed her way down the ladder and began screaming.

"That brat broke our heart! She broke the heart!" At first I thought that the father would say it wasn't that big of a deal, but he soon was shaking me from his leg, repulsed by me, and started shouting. The kids didn't do anything and went silently to the dinner table as I was screamed at from my two-hour long stay at the house. They slammed the door, and of course it was snowing again. It was dark though, and I had no idea where to go. Tears spilled from my eyes as I ran to the street. Cars shrieked as they slammed onto their breaks to avoid running me over.

One car stopped abruptly and a tall, willowy figure emerged from it. I tried to look up at the person, which was hard because of all the snow and wind; I squinted my eyes to help.

The figure extended a long gloved hand to me.

"Come with me, girl," The older woman shouted above the wind.