Chapter 2

Chapter 2
Along came Andrew

                              Now, back to the story...

After the move, the weight of Aunt Vivian's expectations bore down on my brother and me, especially when it came to finding employment. We were still adjusting to our new surroundings, grappling with the challenges of adapting to a different environment despite our bilingualism. Oddly enough, my brother quickly secured a job, but now the spotlight and pressure shifted onto me.

I diligently crafted resumes, distributing them across town, particularly in local restaurants, with the hope of receiving a callback. Regrettably, none came.

One day, while wandering the streets, a very famous bar in town with a "Help Wanted" sign caught my eye. They were in search of a bartender, and I eagerly met with the owner. Drawing on my experience as a professional bartender in Puerto Rico, I felt confident about landing the job. Seemed like a perfect fit, didn't it?

So that day I left my thoughts at the door of an old brick building at the corner of the street and focused on getting the job. The place was old-fashioned with huge menus hanging on the walls, and the bearded man behind the bar welcomed me with a smile. Joe was his name, and he asked me to sit down. He then proceeded to quiz me on how to make various drinks, from a dry martini to a green hopper, and I aced every question, securing the job.

Now, with a job under my belt, I was happy to show off to my aunt, especially since her kid was still unemployed.

As I left the bar, still laughing at the thought of rubbing my job in my aunt's face, I spotted a man struggling with his wheelchair. Without hesitation, I approached him and asked,

"Hey, can I help you with that?"

The man looked at me as if I were the greatest treasure he had ever found, then responded with equal energy,

"Oh hey! Yeah... Y-you could help me here, sweetheart. This stupid chair keeps getting stuck in this stupid crack..."He gestured to the ground where his wheelchair was indeed stuck.

I was looking at him, probably the same way he looked at me first. He was a handsome man, perhaps in his forties, tall even though one of his legs was missing. His smile expressed happiness, but his beautiful green eyes expressed sadness, and the fetid smell coming from his camo jacket, with his surname on it, confirmed my theory. But who was I to judge? His black dog, a Dutch shepherd in a vest, was sitting next to him, panting calmly. I smiled back, happy to help.

"Sure! Let me...Uh! There you go!" I said getting the wheel out of the crack. He smiled at me letting me see his crocked yellowish teeth.

"Are you new around? I've never seen you before..." He asked and I nodded. "Well... You're pretty! I'm Andrew Baker," he said giving me his hand and I shook it. "And this guy is Hunter," he said petting the dog.

"Maya," I said smiling, feeling red. "Well, I-I got to keep going, I have to get home."

"Can I invite you for a coffee?" He asked as I walked away and I laughed.

"Stay out of trouble, Andrew. Don't make me come back here!" I said in a flirty tone.

"I'll be here!" He said getting his chair stuck in the crack again on purpose, I laughed shaking my head.

And suddenly I had the huge urge to help him beyond getting his chair out of the crack. Change his life, because that was part of who I am. A happy helper!