Chapter 1

Nikolas lay on the roof of his master's palace, he watched as the light faded, night took over. The mists and clouds of the sky turned a deep violet from the previous red, and then faded to a navy blue intermixed with indigo. 

Footsteps sounded behind Nikolas, but Nikolas didn't look up. He knew it was Nightshade, It was a sixth sense, a certain gift he had. She came and lay down next to him. 

"You know why I'm here" she whispered. 

Nikolas ran his hand through his hair, "Yeah, I do, I just wanted to watch the light fade. You know, you don't know how much you took something for granted until it's been taken away."

Nightshades expression became pained, "Why speak of what happened? You know it hurts you"

"Because I can't forget. I might have been able to in some other world where I didn't have photographic memory, but it so happens that this isn't a different world." Nikolas grinned and stood up, offering Nightshade his hand.

She took it and Nikolas pulled her up, "So what's the urgent matter this time?"  He led her inside the palace and they started heading down to the audience room. 

"My master is here. They are discussing us." Nightshade said softly.

Nikolas grimaced, his mind racing over all the possible outcomes, but he replied smoothly, his expression not betraying his racing thoughts, "Hopefully the exchange went smoothly, how long ago did they send for me?" 

They arrived at the entrance to the audience chamber, "It was about fifteen minutes ago that they sent for you." 

Nikolas nodded, then he strode into the audience chamber like he owned the place. He bowed his head slightly in deference to Nightshades' master, Thalion Forge - the Ruler of Defense, before walking over to Kaelan Voss - the Ruler of Justice, his own master. 

Thalion gave Nikolas a look of utter disdain. Nikolas knew that Thalion didn't like him it did not stop him from loving Nightshade though.

"Thornevale," Kaelan said, "We have come to an agreement. Either you forget about Nightshade, or you marry her, however, your first child must go to Thalion immediately after it's birth." 

Nikolas stood frozen in place. How could they demand that of them? How would they feel if their firstborn was given away immediately? Even so, giving up Nightshade was worse, Nikolas looked at her and she mouthed two words at him, Just agree

"I choose for us to remain together, and we will give our first child to master Forge." Nikolas choked on the last bit, his first show of emotion in front of Thalion Forge.

Thalion smirked at Nikolas' distress, "I believe I am done here, so here is the signed documents." Thalion handed a slave the papers who brought them before Kaelan. A slave escorted Thalion from the audience room. 

Nightshade stayed behind and as soon as her master was gone she ran over to Nikolas. Nikolas pulled her into an embrace as she cried against him. 

Kaelan stood up, "I'm sorry about this outcome, I argued long and hard."

Nikolas inclined his head, "Thank you sir, Thank you for all you have done."