Chapter 4

He'd taken it out on someone else.

Daemon had always liked taking things a step too far. Whenever he and Daenys had gotten into bits of mischief as children, he had to have the last word, he had to see how much chaos he could really cause, even after she'd backed out because they were caught. He wasn't very different as an adult, except now he had killers under his command and he himself was incredibly skilled with a sword.

Daenys was called to the Small Council chamber early the following morning by Otto himself. He'd led the way toward Viserys's chambers, gathering him and beginning to explain the terror that'd unfolded that night while they'd been sleeping.

"It was an unprecedented roundup of criminals of every link," said Otto as they reached the door. "Your brother made a public show of it, meting out the summary judgments himself. I'm told they needed a two-horse cart to haul away the resulting dismemberments when it was done."

"Gods be good," Viserys sighed.

"The Prince cannot be allowed to act with this kind of unchecked impunity," said Otto once they entered the chambers, the men gathered and Daemon's seat filled for once.

Viserys stopped in front of Daemon, who sat innocently in his seat, still dirty and smeared with blood. "Brother," said Daemon innocently. "Sister."

"You smell awful," said Daenys, sitting beside him and placing her porcelain ball in its place. He regarded her with a thin, suspicious little smile. "Always a pleasure," replied Daemon cheekily. "Carry on, Otto, you were saying something about my impunity."

Otto's jaw tensed. "You are to explain your doings with the City Watch."

"Your new 'Gold Cloaks' made quite the impression last night, didn't they?" said Viserys in a hard voice.

Daemon smiled innocently, side-eyeing Daenys. "Did they?"

"The City Watch is not a sword to be wielded at your whim," said Otto. "They're an extension of the Crown."

"The Watch was enforcing the Crown's laws," said Daemon, looking for support. "Wouldn't you agree, Lord Strong?"

Lyonel was always honest, and his eyes said everything his mouth didn't– he disagreed with what Daemon had done. Otto butted in again,"My Prince, I don't think making a public spectacle of wanton brutality is hardly in line with our laws."

"Nobles from every corner of the realm are right now descending upon King's Landing for my brother's tourney. Do you want them mugged, raped, murdered? You mightn't know this unless you left the safety of the Red Keep, but much of King's Landing is seen by the smallfolk as lawless and terrifying."

Daenys twirled the little ball in its hole. "And your solution is to make it even more so, using the Crown's sworn swords?"

Daemon's lip twitched. "Our city should be safe for all its people."

"I agree," said Viserys carefully. "I just hope you don't have to maim half of my city to achieve this."

"Time will tell. Daenys would have done worse."

Daenys threw her hands up. "I would not have taken it upon myself to mass murder anyone, regardless of who they were! Only with the King's leave and with a path clear to promote actual change. You killing everyone does nothing to assure that their behavior will be different!"

Lord Corlys spoke up, "We installed Prince Daemon as commander to promote law and order. The criminal element should fear the City Watch."

"Thank you for your support, Lord Corlys," said Daemon, satisfied.