The Encounter

It had been four years, Elena had taken on her dream job as a project manager at a tech company. As she packed her things to leave early, excitement bubbled within her—tomorrow was Lukas’s birthday. She had requested a half-day off, eager to celebrate in a way that honored both the joy of the occasion and the memory of his mother, Liz.

Every year, they visited Liz at the cemetery before heading to her parents’ house, a routine that had become a cherished tradition. Elena’s parents adored Lukas, treating him like their own grandson. They looked forward to celebrating his birthday, and with tomorrow being a weekend, they could stay longer and enjoy time at their beach house.

“Mommy, are we visiting Mama Liz?” Lukas asked from the backseat as they drove.

“Yes, sweetheart. Mama Liz will be so happy to see you,” Elena replied, glancing in the rearview mirror to catch a glimpse of his innocent smile.

“How would I know?” he asked, his brow furrowing in curiosity.

“I just know it,” she said gently, though inside she felt a knot of anxiety tighten. Explaining Liz’s absence had always been a delicate task. Lukas had begun asking questions, curious about why he called Elena “Mommy” while Liz was referred to as “Mama.” Liz had always wanted to be called “Mama” by her future child, a desire Elena respected and honored.

Elena took a deep breath, preparing to share the truth. “Well, honey, Mama Liz is your birth mom, but I’m your mommy now because Mama is gone.” The words were heavy, but she spoke with compassion, knowing that while he might not fully understand now, he would as he grew older.

“Hi, Mama Liz!” Lukas exclaimed cheerfully when they arrived at the cemetery.

“Mommy helped me draw something today! Look!” He held up a colorful paper covered in crayon drawings. “And I can already say my ABCs and count up to 100!” His grin was contagious.

It was 3 PM, and the weather was pleasantly cool, allowing them to linger a bit longer. As Elena and the nanny began to gather their things, two men strolled nearby, their expressions searching.

“Bye, Mama Liz! See you again soon!” Lukas called out, his voice bright. The sound seemed to catch the attention of the two men, who froze in their tracks. One of them took a step forward, but the other quickly grabbed his arm, holding him back.

Lukas noticed their gaze and ran to Elena, his expression a mix of confusion and curiosity. “Mommy, those guys—” he started, glancing back at them. “Their eyes look like mine.”

A wave of panic surged through Elena, but she forced herself to remain calm. “Lukas, you need to help Nanay pick up the rest of our things and get in the car. We need to go; it’s almost 5 PM,” she urged, hoping to redirect his attention.

“Alright, Mom,” he replied, seemingly unfazed.

As Elena continued to pack, her mind raced with thoughts about the two men. It was no secret that Lukas’s father was a foreigner—likely American—but she had no idea who he was or what he looked like. The uneasy feeling gnawed at her.

“Mom, do you know those two guys from earlier?” Lukas asked, breaking her concentration just as she thought he had forgotten about them.

Elena hesitated, choosing her words carefully. “No, sweetie, I don’t know them. Let’s focus on getting everything ready for your birthday, okay?”

“Okay,” he said, oblivious to the tension that hung in the air.

As they drove away from the cemetery, Elena couldn’t shake the feeling that the encounter was significant. What if those men were connected to Lukas in a way she couldn’t yet understand?