Chapter 2

Raven’s POV

“Glad to meet you, Mr. Carter,” a woman with sleek black hair and glasses framing her soft, brown eyes stands up, directing me to the ebony chair in front of her separated only by a glistening, rectangular glass table.

“Please have a seat.”

I look around for a male figure and realize there is nobody else besides us in the room. The color of my face drops as I realize the person whom I’m going to be working under. So this woman was the mastermind behind the ‘Great Ashworth Industries’?

I gulp. “Pleased to meet you Ms. Ashworth,” I say finally meeting her eyes.

I don’t know why I’m getting scared. It’s not like she’s going to eat me. She is a woman...just a freaking woman. Yeah, that’s right! That’s just makes my job easier. All I have to do is lure her in with my looks, a little sucking up and voila, she will be under my fingers. I smile in my mind. Life just got a hell lot easier.

“I’m just going to get straight to the point Mr. Carter. You were the financial manager of our rival company, Gordon Enterprise, before. I’m curious to know why you quit your job there.”

Ha! I knew she was going to ask me that. Predictable women. Now it will all depend upon how convincing of an acting I give. I practiced this speech for weeks, trying to make it sound as natural as possible. All that rehearsal better pay off.

Putting on my most serious face, I calmly state, “Five years ago, I joined the Gordon Enterprise known for its high employee satisfaction and friendly working conditions. However, over the years, I’ve found out that has changed. Office workers are often mistreated by their managers and  threatened of losing their job on extremely silly matters. It’s absolutely disgusting. Plus, the workers have no choice but to bear with the harassment since it’s so difficult getting a job in a big company these days.”

I pause for a moment and continue, “Miss Ashworth, I’m a man of ethics and do not wish to associate myself with a company that treats its employees like that. I hope my answer satisfies your curiosity.”

I take a deep breath and wait for all that information to sink in her tiny brain. After what seemed like an eternity, she finally nods her head. “Right. Thank you, Mr. Carter. That’s all I wanted to know.”  

Why isn’t she saying anything more? Did I underestimate her? What if she saw through my acting? I hope not…

To relieve my curiosity, I ask “So, do I get the job?”        

“After hearing your story, I don’t think I have any other option besides saying yes.” Saying that, she flashes me what she thought was supposed to be her “million dollar smile.”

Stupid woman. You don’t know what you have got yourself into.

In a moment of excitement I say, “Thank you, Ms. Ashworth. You are the best.”

“That wasn’t necessary Mr. Carter.”

“What wasn’t?” I ask feeling slightly confused.

“You complimenting me. I already know I’m the best. No clarifications needed.’’

“Ofcourse…” I pretend to agree.

A little too cocky aren’t we?

Uttering a laugh, she regards me with eyes full of amusement.

“Kidding. Now I can’t even joke with my own financial manager?”

“Ofcourse you can, Ms. Ashworth.” I join her with a chuckle.

Laugh all you want Ms. Ashworth. Your days of happiness won’t last long.

Adrienne’s POV

I looked at the man standing in front of me. His clothes screamed branded from top to bottom, not to mention the fact that his hair was extremely gelled trying to give off what seemed to be a ‘sexy look.’ I don’t know who he was trying to impress.

Whatever the case, I was more interested in why the financial manager of Ashworth’s rival company wanted to join my office.

I stood up from my seat and motioned for him to sit down. “Glad to meet you, Mr. Carter. Please have a seat.”

 I thought I saw a hint of nervousness on his face before he finally replies. “Pleased to meet you Ms. Ashworth.”

Without any further due, I asked the question nagging me ever since I received his job application, “I’m just going to get straight to the point Mr. Carter. You were the financial manager of our rival company, Gordon Enterprise, before. I’m curious to know why you quit your job there.”

After a moment, he answers, ““Five years ago, I joined the Gordon Enterprise known for its high employee satisfaction and friendly working conditions. However, over the years, I’ve found out that has changed. Office workers are often mistreated by their managers and often threatened of losing their job on extremely silly matters. It’s absolutely disgusting. Plus, the workers have no choice but to bear with the harassment since it’s so difficult getting a job in a big company these days. Miss Ashworth, I’m a man of ethics and do not want to associate myself with a company that treats its employees like that. I hope my answer satisfies your curiosity.”

Upon hearing his reply, for some reason, I felt a little suspicious. The way he explained himself…it seemed so rehearsed, almost to the point of being fake, like he had been waiting for this moment for so long.

My instincts told me not to trust this guy.

“Right. Thank you, Mr. Carter. That’s all I wanted to know.”  I battle back and forth between my decision of hiring him. Is gut instinct enough to reject an employee? What if I’m wrong with my assumption about him? Maybe I shouldn’t judge him too quickly.

He finally breaks the silence. “So, do I get the job?”       

I have made my decision. “After hearing your story, I don’t think I have any other option besides saying yes,” I answer with a smile.

An excited gleam crosses his eyes as he speaks, “Thank you, Ms. Ashworth. You are the best.”

Hmm…time to play around. “That wasn’t necessary Mr. Carter.”

A look of confusion swept across his face. “What wasn’t?”

“You complimenting me. I already know I’m the best. No clarifications needed.’’ I was just holding back my laugh when complete seriousness takes over his countenance.

“Of course…”

Not being able to control anymore, I let out a chuckle, “Kidding. Now I can’t even joke with my own financial manager?”

“Of course you can, Ms. Ashworth,” he replies joining me.

I don’t trust you Raven Carter but it’s still too early for me to judge your actions. We’ll just have to wait until tomorrow when you join office. That’s when your real test will begin. Until then, enjoy my nice-boss company because things are going to get a lot tougher.