Chapter 7: Burning Candles

Blair stood in front of the mirror, her heart racing with excitement. Today was the day of the awaited competition, and she could barely contain her enthusiasm. She brushed her fingers through her hair, her gaze landing on the freshly cut bangs framing her pretty face. Some strands hung longer than others, a cruel reminder of her late-night hair transformation.

The candle she had burned at both ends, literally and figuratively, flickered dangerously as her marathon study session stretched on. When a sudden power outage plunged the room into darkness, she lit a candle and refocused on her composition. While focused on her work, she didn't notice her hair getting too close to the flame. By the time she realized, she had accidentally created uneven bangs that looked funny and cute.

Blair's pulse quickened as she entered the auditorium, her eyes scanning the room filled with eager participants from different universities. They were all gearing up to deliver their contemporary speeches focused on tackling health disparities and advocating for health equity. The projector displayed the slogan, "Bridging the Gaps: Demolishing Health Disparities for True Equity," highlighting the day's mission's significance.

The competition would determine not just who had the best proposal, but who could truly advocate for those facing barriers in the healthcare system.

She was ready to step into the spotlight, bangs and all, prepared to win a cause she believed in deeply when she spotted her grandfather seated as the guest of honor beside the school president, talking with Ezra Taylor. Blair felt a complicated swirl of emotions beyond just anxiety.

Blair took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. The presence of the significant people who still haunted her with painful memories made the stakes feel even higher. This competition was no longer just about winning, it was about proving to them, and to herself, that she could stand on her own, without the crutch of her family's legacy or privilege.

Finally, her name was called.

As she stepped up to the podium, the bright lights perfectly showcased her uneven bangs—her own accidental late-night haircut special. Spencer, seated in the front row, caught sight of her and couldn't help but let out a snort of laughter.

"Good afternoon, everyone. Before I dive into my speech, I'd like to pose a question: how many of you have taken a moment to check the current status of health disparities today?"

A hint of a smile danced on her lips, but there was an underlying seriousness in her gaze. Blair glanced toward her grandfather, his face remained impassive, but Ezra leaned forward slightly, his gaze focused, as if her words had finally cut through the noise.

"Today, I want to share a story about a princess living in a cozy castle, where resources paved the way for her every need. If she needed anything, a doctor's appointment, a prescription, or even a band-aid for a scraped knee, it was just a matter of snapping her fingers."

As she spoke, a playful grin spread across her face, her eyes sparkling with mischief. She tilted her head slightly, the uneven bangs framing her forehead, adding a touch of whimsy to her expression.

"And healthcare was as easy to access as ordering pizza with a single call." She raised an eyebrow, leaning slightly forward. "You know, when your biggest worry is only whether to have extra cheese on your Hawaiian pizza or to debate the merits of pineapple on it, not whether you can afford a doctor's visit!"

"But imagine this: life flipped the script on that princess. After being kicked out by her wicked stepmother, fast-forward to today, and she's living in a haunted apartment, surrounded by creaky floors and the occasional ghostly whisper. The only thing demanding more than her feline is the electricity bill! Now, she finds rationing her resources like a contestant on a reality survival show."