CHAPTER 7

Somewhere over the Atlantic

Spring 2015

The ground was humming beneath Nadine as she came to, her eyes snapping open as she realized she was in a vehicle. No, that was wrong. It wasn't just any vehicle. They were flying.

She was airborne.

"Hey Cap, she's wakin' up."

And as she tried to roll over and sit up, she realized she was tightly bound on top of it. Strong ties bound her wrists behind her back, while her ankles were similarly tied and linked to her wrist bindings so that she felt trussed up like a bird ready for the roast. And someone had stunned her; her muscles were still twitching from the aftereffects of the voltage used...probably Hawkeye... It must have been some sort of taser arrow that hit her, she realized, recalling that last instant before she'd blacked out.

A few strands of blonde hair tickled across her cheekbone, irritating in her momentary inability to brush them aside. She bit back a huff of frustration.

While she wanted nothing more than to snap herself free and show the Avengers precisely how she felt about their poorly-considered decision to restrain her, she knew she needed to play this carefully. After all, not only were they all confined in rather limited—and airborne—quarters, but Captain America and Hawkeye weren't run-of-the-mill Mercs or thugs. They had their respective reputations for a reason. She needed to be smart about this.

As she shifted in preparation to right herself, automatically testing the ties as she went, a large, solid body lowered down beside her. Still awkwardly lying halfway between her back and side, her legs bent so her ankles were up near her hands, she was forced to crane her neck back to meet the blue eyes looking down at her.

Classically handsome was the first term Nadine would have used to describe the Captain as he knelt by her side, one arm propped on his knee as the other rested on his hip. The second was far less kind. He watched her for a moment, his gaze thoughtful and intent as he studied her. She kept her face carefully blank as she stared back, her left hand slowly beginning to migrate toward her utility belt.