Echoes of Discounten

The next day dawned with a chill in the air, a reminder that autumn was settling in at Hogwarts. Selene woke with a sense of purpose, determined to focus on her studies and her own goals rather than the distractions of friendship and unspoken emotions. She dressed quickly, her thoughts drifting to the upcoming lessons and how she could prove herself in Potions and other subjects.

As she made her way to the Great Hall for breakfast, she noticed a few Slytherins whispering in a corner, glancing her way. It was not unusual for them to speculate, especially given her connection to Severus and the Gryffindor crowd. Shaking off the feeling of unease, she entered the hall, her eyes scanning the long tables until they landed on Severus, who was already seated at the Slytherin table.

“Morning,” she said, sliding into the seat beside him, trying to keep her tone light.

“Morning,” he replied, but his attention was again divided as he stole glances at the Gryffindor table, where Lily Evans was laughing at something James Potter said. Selene’s stomach twisted at the sight, but she steeled herself against the surge of irritation that threatened to bubble over.

“Did you finish the reading for Transfiguration?” she asked, hoping to steer the conversation away from the Gryffindor table.

“Yes,” he said, but his tone suggested he was only half-listening. “I’ll help you if you need it.”

“I appreciate it,” she replied, trying to keep her voice steady, “but I think I can manage.”

The rest of breakfast passed in a blur of muffled conversations and clinking cutlery. Selene felt the weight of unresolved feelings pressing down on her, but she refused to let them show. After breakfast, as they filed into Transfiguration, she resolved to push those thoughts aside, focusing instead on the lesson at hand.

The class was challenging, and as they practiced turning objects into other forms, Selene found her concentration deepening. She thrived on the challenge, finding solace in the precision required for their tasks. Yet, even as she threw herself into her work, she couldn’t ignore the sensation of Severus’s distracted energy lingering at her side.

After class, as they made their way out of the classroom, Selene tried to engage Severus in conversation again. “What do you think about the new assignment? I heard it’s quite complex.”

“Should be fine,” he said, his tone nonchalant as he glanced over his shoulder toward the Gryffindor corridor.

“Right.” Selene bit back her annoyance, feeling the familiar frustration resurface. They walked in silence for a moment before she broke it again, desperation creeping into her voice. “Do you ever plan to focus on anything other than Lily?”

Severus paused, looking at her with a mixture of surprise and defensiveness. “It’s not like that.”

“Isn’t it?” she shot back, her patience waning. “You barely even notice what’s happening around you when she’s around. It’s like I don’t exist when she’s there.”

He sighed, the frustration evident on his face. “I can’t help it if she’s—”

“Important?” she interrupted, her tone sharper than intended. “I get it. You’ve been friends for ages, but I thought we were supposed to be partners in this. We have our own goals to focus on, remember?”

“I know,” he said quietly, the defiance in his expression softening. “But it’s not easy to ignore history.”

Selene felt a pang of guilt at the tone in his voice. “I understand that, but can’t you at least try? I thought we were in this together.”