How it all started

*BEFORE*

He took me to this beautiful Italian restaurant and we dined in peace. I was started to believe that Maybe there is such a thing as "happily ever after"

We finished our meal and he paid. "So what's next, babe?" I asked, putting my hand over top of his.

He stood up silently and offered me a hand. I slowly slid my hand into his outstretched one and stood up.

He looked so perfect in his tuxedo.. I couldn't rip my eyes off him.

He still didn't say a word, as he led me up a dark part of the building and up some flights of stairs.

He turned towards me and opened the door in front of us.

The wind was tugging at my dress and the cool wind of fall was nipping at my skin. He took off his jacket part of the tux and put it on my shoulders.

It struck me kind of odd that he hasn't said anything yet, but his eyes were on my the entire time.

he led me to the edge of the building and we peered over. it wasn't that high, maybe 80 feet to the ground.. give or take.

He sat down on the ledge and I sat next to him, immediately feeling the cool cement.

He looked at me and smiled "Mia I love you so much. And that's why I have to do this. It's not you, it's the things I got mixed up in."

He stood up on the ledge and looked me in the eyes.. what was he going to do? Is this a joke? "Mia please don't think of me as a coward or that I can't face my problems. in fact.. this is me facing them and protecting you.. Just remember I love you so much. "

I shot up from my seat.. he wasn't going to do what I thought he was going to do... right? "Cole don't. what are you doing? get down and stop playing" I tugged his sleeve a little.

"Cole stop. get down."

He looked at me one more time and slowly started leaning backwards until his feet almost left the ledge.

He leaned back over and and jumped down off the ledge, over to me. "Cole you fucking idiot! You could have died! " I gave him my glare but his lazy smile made me cool off very fast.

I guess in a way, we both liked to flirt with death.

Until we pushed it too far.

-----
*After*

The sun filtered in through my curtains, illuminating my messy room.

I dragged myself out of bed and threw on a robe. I love Saturday mornings.

I walked out of my room and out into my apartment. It was time for a change of scenery, I smiled to myself. I wonder where I'll move to next.

I walked over to my coffee maker, leaning on the counter top. I took a deep and relaxing breath and set up some coffee for myself.

I walked over to the cup cabinet and was caught by a slight surprise when I saw a note on my stove.

It read

"Enter 3, north for 5, east for 7, North for 5, and X marks the spot"

The words struck some cords in me, because it was something similar to the codes I used with-

What do I even call him? A relationship isn't officially over until you tell them... right?

But let's just say it's all okay and he didn't just go missing without a trace. Alright?

Cole.

The love of my life..

It was a Monday night when he dropped me off at my place. I was going away to Paris for a while and he wanted to personally see me to my then apartment.

I still remember everything about him. But the smell and feel of him on me, has long been washed away.

The police had given up their search long ago. Moving on from tragedies like this is nothing you can do in 5 minutes.

But you sure as hell can down a lot of shots in that time.

As you may have guessed, after he disappeared, my life went down a spiral of bad choices and huge mistakes.

Until I realized that he isn't coming back.

I had to pick myself up when everybody left, and I had to watch my back when everybody was there.

I miss him like crazy.

But what if he's still there and what does this NOTE mean?

My heart was in my shoes at the thought of him still being alive... What's the harm in a little hope?

I put on some decent clothes and raced out to find the forest that Cole and I claimed was ours back when we began dating.

We used codes, like how the note was written, and we would meet in the forest that separated our towns.

I think it's time to find out what actually happened.

     ---•-----•
            ----

A/N

Promise, the book gets better the more you read lol.

Ciao for now,
Trish.