Amy + Stick's Virtual Beginnings

Beep beep!

A smile instantly flew up on Amy's face. She held the new Tamagotchi in her hand, rubbing her thumb on the sleek, smooth plastic. She tossed and turned it in her palms and constantly studied its features. She tried to contain a squeal, and made spastic movements in an unpredictable routine.

"Sweet!" she squeaked out. "This is so cool! Thanks for getting me this Tamagotchi, Mom!"

"No problem, Amy," she replied, putting forth no effort to make her smile genuine.

She turned and started to grumble.

"It only costed like thirty dollars, no big de--"

"What was that, Mom?"

"Nothing, honey!" she flushed, and with an actually genuine smile of embarrassment, scurried away.

It was eight at night when Amy's mom were at Wal-mart a half-hour ago. She had bags under her eyes while Amy's were wide and moving fast, left to right, scanning the shelves of the toy section.

After a few minutes of watching Amy rummage through rows of boxes, her mom dared to begin, "Amy, aren't you... a bit, well, old for these things? The little-- what do you call them?"

For years now, Amy had been told she was too old for Tamagotchis many different times. She had been teased and made fun of at school because of it, but she learned that, rather than being ashamed of it, being herself was a happier path to take. Yet, she was still somewhat hurt every time someone brought it up.

"It's called a Tamagotchi, Mom," she replied with a hint of annoyance. "and I'm not too old for them." Slightly offended, she didn't bother to look up from her search. She continued to push aside boxes. "I'm not going to stop pursuing things that make me happy just because I'm sixteen. So, yeah, maybe that's not the... typical age for a Tamagotchi caretaker. But I don't live by the rules of society."

"Oh, believe me, I know..." her mom muttered under her breath.

"If I want to care for a virtual pet, I'm going to care for a virtual pet!"

After relooking through a pile of boxes of toys on clearance, her face lit up. "Finally! I found one! I found a Tamagotchi!" She tried to find any way to express her excitement without drawing attention. It resulted in a sort of awkward jumping and stiff swinging of arms and legs.

At the store counter, Amy's mom checked the price tag. Her eyebrows almost rocketed off of her face.

"$29.99!?" she almost screamed. She took Amy aside, holding her by the arm.

"Are you completely insane Amy? Thirty dollars!?"

"Mom, I have never once been sane. But I don't need to be to know that thirty dollars isn't that bad."

"For a little-- virtual-- baby toy thing, it is!"

"Oh, s-sorry," Amy glanced away dramatically. "I didn't k-know you could put a price on m-my happiness..." She gave her best pitiful sniffle.

"Oh, urrgh!-- Fine."

She released her grip on Amy's arm and reached for her wallet. She winced as she pulled out thirty dollars.

"H-here you go," she said reluctantly.

And, after that painful incident in her life, she drove Amy home.

Amy inserted a pair of batteries into the virtual pet handheld. It beeped to confirm its success. Now, we've come back to the beginning.

Beep beep!