Chapter Five:

||||| Saren Chapter Five:

I stare out the window, blankly. Darien sits next to me, driving, and we've been sitting like this for hours.

"I'm not letting you go until you tell me."

"Well, I'm not telling you anything," I scoff.

    Darien pulls into the lot of a hotel. He steps out of the car and rounds to pull my door open which jerks me to the muddy ground by my cuffed hand. He chuckles, pulls a key out of his pocket, and unlocks the link to the door to latches it to his wrist. He helps me up and sets the key in his flannel shirt pocket.

"Ready to tell me anything?" he pulls me up close to him to see me through the rain.

"Nope," I say arrogantly. He glances me over, head to toe, taking his leather jacket off and making me slip into it. He brushes my hair back when I pull its hood up. We stand there for a moment, just staring at each other, him with a look of complete amusement, and me with the darkest of looks ever.

  He finally pulls me inside, hiding the cuffs in his shirt pocket. I jerk away, but he twones our hands, while taking me to the front desk to check-in. The clerk hands Darien the hotel key, and I snatch it up.

"I'll put it in your pocket," I give Darien a cheeky smile and reach into the pocket with the cuff key.

"Thanks, Babe," he plays along with the flirting, kissing my forehead, and yanking my hand out of his pocket. I bring my fist to his gut, and he tries his best not to hunch over. I smirk, amused. But, he pulls me to the two- bed room as I sigh, defeated.

"Get to sleep," he cuffs me to the AC unit by my bed only to lay on his own and grumpily try to sleep.

***

I slump in the sheets for hours while tossing and turning. I ruffle the sheets over and over, wide awake and squirming as I try to gain any sort of energy.

"Why can't you sleep?" Darien snaps.

"Usually awake at night," I whisper. "And, the cuffs don't help." He turns over in his bed, uneasily. I hesitate at the pregnant silence hanging over us. "Why were you there earlier?" I blurt out of nowhere.

"I followed you."

"Why?"

He sits up and in the faint moonlight, I can see the tight lines of his shirtless back. My chest tightens with a queasy feeling, and I look away. I turn over and face the wall while he slips into a shirt.

"Do you ever sleep?" he drags his hands through his hair.

"Not really," I touch the cracks in the paint. I hear him stand and pad across the floor. I feel the bed tilt, and then I feel his body next to mine. He gently reaches across me waist and unlocks the link around my skin.

"Go to sleep," he lies back down at the foot of my bed and drifts off to sleep himself. And, I listen to him sleep, deeply, wondering what it would be like to breathe...