Chapter Three:

|||||          Saren-       Chapter Three:

I feel like I'm under for hours in just a matter of minutes. My body cries with pain and soreness, but it's not just that... I can't breathe. I haven't been able to since I possessed this body from the crash. She was dead when I found her: She died in a car wreck with her father... and every since, I haven't breathed. I haven't really needed to.

I claw my way up and out of the sea of dirt to see the sky still dark with dawn. I emerge with an exhaustive breath.

I can hear the stars whispering to each other overhead like sirens shrieking endlessly, and I scream at the loudness of it. I clench the dirt below me, and I feel it stirring. With one hand over my head, clenching, I dig through the dirt to find a hand writhing. The boy-

I pull him out with everything I have, and he lands on the ground, wheezing. I crawl away to cover my ears and claw at my cheeks. I beg the sounds to stop; it's an infinite heart line of antique glass against fingernails and chalks against a chalkboard. It burns to hear the stars speak.

     The boy scoots over and holds my back, trying to help me in some way, but I push him away and fumble to stand.

"Please," I plead towards the sky. "I'm sorry," I whisper it a thousand times over again. "Sorry, sorry, sorry-"

"What's wrong?" the boy grabs my wrist and watches as my entire being glows through the skin of this girl. His eyes go wide, and he watches as I fall to the ground, desperate for escape.

"I don't know how to explain what I saw," he starts.

The voices cease.

"But, you do."

The voices listen. The sky falls and leans closer, listening to him- watching.

"You know what happened, don't you? You know what just happened!"

I glance up at him, weakly. "I was hoping to find out," I lie.

He squats and grabs my wrist with the paint on it. "What just happened?"

"I don't know," I lie through my teeth again. I begin walking over the rubble to scavenge for my glaive.

"You called me 'human,'" he follows me.

"Because we are."

"I checked- You're not supposed to be alive. You're not breathing."

I sigh, angrily. I hold my hand in the air, hidden by my waist, and wait for the ground to break and the sheath to shoot up into my palm. It hits the pad of my hand, and I start to pace towards the site of the crash. "Thank you for helping me, honestly, but leave me alone."

"WHAT happened?" he pushes harshly.

"'The sky,' is what just happened!"

"Iene?!" A hear a woman's shrill voice.

"I'm over here!" he calls without looking away from me.

"Where?!"  He looks away to call after her, and I take the chance to run. He doesn't chase me. He lets me go without hesitation. "Where did she go?" I hear her say from a mile away.

  I hear Darien sigh angrily after. I stop in the middle of a mangled corn field and move my hair away from my ear to listen to them speak. "She left."

"Who was she?" the woman asks.

"Just some girl," Darien begins to stroll away with heavy footsteps to the ground. "But, I think she might've been much more than that."

"What?" the woman tests.

I can taste his hesitation, now. "There's a war goin' on somewhere out there. An', I think she can see it."