10 • On the Road

[Dev]

I've seen more geographical features in the last two weeks than in my entire life. I can tell what plants back home are poisonous and what time of day dust storms come around, but now we might as well be on another planet. We're hiding from torrential rains that make my chest tight. We duck under pines that make poor cover.

Alessandra hasn't said anything in days aside from the occasional, unconvincing reassurance that we're headed the right way. She just buries herself in the map. She concentrates on it more and more, which probably is a good thing, but part of me thinks she doubts her navigation. Even Peregrine and Vinder have been quiet. The trip is wearing on them, too.

For all I know the Ecodome could be resting just beyond the trees, right over the next hill, or past the next town. We have to keep moving. If we don't, the image of the dome in my head will become just that— an idea. It still feels better to put one foot in front of the other, but eventually it won't be enough.

Ever since the incident at the stadium, the group has stuck together tighter. The threat of outsiders sits fresh on everyone's mind. I used to only think of 'the group' as Ashton, Jules, and Cain, but unconsciously the humans have squeezed their way into the association. I catch myself every once in a while noticing it. Feels weird acknowledging it.

Alessandra lets out a sigh. The first sound she's made almost all day; it makes everyone snap awake.

"What?" James says.

"I—nothing, I'm fine," Alessandra says.

"Yeah, clearly," James replies.

"Look I'm just sort of... distracted," Alessandra says.

"I'd prefer some honesty," James says sourly.

Alessandra doesn't say anything, just clenches her teeth and flattens her lips. She glances at everyone then says, "This map is garbage."

He looks at her like he expected that. Disappointed, resigned. It's the same look I got a few times from the test supervisors if I missed my mark.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Ashton asks from beside me.

"What?"

He smiles. "What's on your mind?"

All I have to do is frown at Alessandra's general direction and Ashton sighs. "Yeah. I don't think she's taking it well, either."

"Leave that to me," Jules says from behind us, making a show of pushing past us and into position beside Alessandra. Ashton and I raise our eyebrows at each other.

"Everything going okay?" Jules asks. Her acting is awful.

"Yeah, fine," Alessandra says quickly, pausing to look around.

Faltering, Jules shuffles uncomfortably and slaps the back of Alessandra's neck.

"What the hell?!" Alessandra cries, glaring at Jules. James looks shocked, too.

Jules shrugs and says, "Spider. It's okay, I got it."

"Oh, thanks. I hate spiders," Alessandra says, wiping the imaginary spider remains off her neck. She glances at her fingertips and wipes them on her shirt.

Mine and Ashton's stifled laughter might give the whole ruse away.

The effect on Alessandra is immediate. She perks up and starts walking again with vigor and purpose. As if she suddenly remembered something and had a weight lifted off her.

Jules rejoins me and says, "Serotonin is a wonderful thing."

I laugh. "You're a mad genius."

"And hey, did you know, Alessandra's favorite food is blackberries?"