Chapter Three

"Do you own any casual clothing?"

Sherlock looked down at his dark red button-up and frowned. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

John sighed as Sherlock shut the door. "Nothing, Sherlock. You ready?"

"Oh, of course, John. A party at Jeanette's. How exciting."

John rolled his eyes. "How's it going with that girl of yours?"

Sherlock coughed. "She's not mine, John."

"Okay, okay. How's that going?"

"Fine."

The two of them drove in silence until John blurted, "Did you tell her yet?"

Sherlock sighed. "I do not fancy Molly."

"Right, sorry."

John parked the car a block away from Jeanette's house. Sherlock could hear the music from three houses away. Shouts of praise rang out as the song drew to a close, and Sherlock winced. John laughed, clapped him on the shoulder, and led him into the house.

"Jeanette's brother plays drums," John explained.

"Wonderful."

"Come on, Sherlock, at least try to enjoy yourself."

"Of course, John."

A girl with short brown hair popped up next to John. She gripped his arm and kissed him on the cheek.

"John!" she squealed. "Thanks for coming. I've been wanting to show you off for weeks." Her gaze drifted to Sherlock, who was standing behind John awkwardly, playing with his hands. "Oh, Sherlock. Hi."

"Hello, Sarah. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Uh, and you. Come on, John, I want you to meet Jeanette! She's been dying to meet you, you know."

Sherlock blinked, and Sarah dragged John somewhere in the crowd of people compacted by the makeshift stage. Sherlock frowned and scanned the faces, looking for anyone he might recognize.

"Bloody hell," someone cursed. "Who invited the Freak?"

Sherlock turned to face Molly Hooper, her honey-brown hair in a side ponytail. Sherlock swallowed as Sally Donovan pushed past her, glaring right at him.

"Why are you here? I find it hard to believe you have friends, Freak."

Sherlock rolled his eyes. "How are you getting on without Anderson, Sally? Much better, I'd assume."

"Shut up," she spat. "Why don't you just leave? It's creepy to be here alone, just watching all the normal people. Is that what you do for fun?"

"Sally, that's enough," Molly said, frowning. "Don't be cruel."

"Did you hear what he said to me?"

"Sally, we ask you that all the time. And you are doing better without Anderson, remember?" Molly assured, patting Sally's arm.

"Oh, I see whose side you're on. You don't even know him."

"Sherlock's my friend. Leave him alone, Sally. Go bother someone else."

Sally huffed and stalked away. Molly turned to him and grinned. Sherlock swallowed. He'd never seen her in clothes that weren't their school uniform. Molly wore a pale pink sweater and black skinny jeans. Her eyelashes were longer, her fingernails were painted dark purple, and she smelled like vanilla.

"I didn't know you were coming!" she exclaimed. "I'm glad I let Janine guilt-trip me into showing up. Now I'll have someone interesting to talk to. Sherlock?"