Chapter Eight

~Chapter Eight~

    The car ride back to Layne's house was completely silent. He had just told me that he had already known what my parents did for a living. Which I guess you could already say I had figured out, he had said that it was best for them to tell me. If that wasn't an obvious warning bell then I don't know what was.

    What shocked me the most though was that Layne had taken the chance to bring me back home to see my parent's. You'd think that he wouldn't want me around any sign of danger. Sure, I knew they would never hurt me no matter what, emotionally maybe but never physically. Still Layne didn't know that, he never met them before.

    "Why'd you take the chance?" I finally asked when he turned onto his road.

    "What do you mean?"

    "You know exactly what I mean," I yawned. "If you knew what my parents did for a living why did you take me to talk to them?"

    He shifted slightly in his seat and reached out for my hand, "I don't want to be one of those guys that keeps his mate away from her parents. You deserve to know who they are and even though at the time I had no clue what your parents would do when they found out, I did know that I wouldn't let anything happen to you. I didn't want to hurt you more by keeping you away."

    I squeezed his hand back and let out a sigh, "I guess you're right. I would have been pretty pissed off if you didn't let me see them... its just you can be extremely confusing sometimes. I barely ever understand what's going on in that thick head of yours," I smirked. 

    He flashed me his perfect smile and pulled into his driveway, "I like being confusing... it agitates you. You look cute when you are all flustered." He took his hands and pinched my cheeks like I was a little kid.

    "Stop it!" I giggled, swatting him away, "You're so immature!"

    When we walked into the house everyone looked up from what they were doing, Toby had been stuck scrubbing the dishes and Aria; by the look on her face was forced into changing the diapers of the youngest pups. Ha, serves her right.

    "Yay, you're back!" Macie squealed, throwing down her washcloth and running over to us. "I thought you guys would never show up!"

    I returned her hug and turned to Layne, "Is everyone always this interested when you walk into the house?" I asked amused.

    "Of course," he beamed, kicking off his shoes and lounging on the couch with his hands behind his head. "I'm the king of the castle."

    I rolled my eyes and tried my best to keep my laughter at bay. He was such an idiot.

    "What do you think you're doing?" Marcy said, sneaking up behind him. "Just because you are the Alpha doesn't mean you can get away without doing chores." She took the newspaper in her hand and swat him in the back of his head.

    This time I couldn't hold it any longer, and I burst into giggles, Macie right along with me. And to both of our entertainment his face turned bright red, "Shut up," he grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest and pouting like a four year old.

    "I know what Layne can do," a boy I didn't recognize spoke up, he then looked over to me and winked.

    Oh well, that was extremely embarrassing. I turned my face away from him so he couldn't see my face heating up.

    "Yes, because that was totally the mature thing to say, Jeremy," Layne glared at the blonde haired boy.

    The kid just shrugged and went back to washing the windows.