Chapter Eleven

George told me that Calum was due to stay in the hospital for another week to recover from his coma, which I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't take him back home but at this moment his health was more important than my wants. Since, you know, I was pregnant, it was convenient for me to visit the other nurses for quick check ups. I was about a month and a half along and it was actually going pretty smoothly so far.

I spent my days at the hospital hanging out with Calum and talking and cherishing our time together, now that we now have a new understanding just how precious life is. My nights consisted of staying awake all night, torn between wanting to go to Calum and knowing he needs space. I'd stay up watching lame movies on the Hallmark channel until two in the morning.

Currently, I layed on our bed in our home that we've had for two years. I had dry tears resting on my cheeks after waking up from a nightmare. I don't even remember what it was about, all I had was the quick spread of fear that coursed through my body every two minutes. I clutched our sheets in my entire hand as I tried to get a grip on reality. All I needed was a quick reassurance from Calum that it all would be alright and then I would be fine. But I couldn't get that, so I settled for second best.

"Alright Dalis," I exhaled, which made me better a little bit. I closed my eyes. "Things have been going pretty great so far so, and I'm sure this is just a pregnancy thing, I'm sure this is just minor. A little scare. It'll be ok in the morning."

Yet, I still didn't sleep a wink. I got out of bed around eight and took a shower, trying to relax the muscles in my back. Once out, I dressed in some shorts and one of Calum's flannels for the sake of emotional security. Quickly, I ate an apple plus some toast for the sake of better judgement towards my health. I jogged out of the house and to my car.

On the drive back to the hospital, my thumbs tapped the steering wheel to the beat of whatever played on the radio. I was exhausted from last night's and this morning's episode. And the scary part is, I'm sure there's more to come. It's a good this he only has two more days left.

I arrived shortly in the hospital parking lot. I hopped out, locked my car, made my way into the waiting room and eventually back to Calum's room where he was flipping through the channels on the television.

"It's about time you showed up," Calum said, welcoming me with a kiss to the cheek and a spot for me to lay on his bed. I joined him and automatically wanted to sleep. I leaned my face into his chest. It felt so good to be home again. "No offense Dalis, but you look like hell."

I groaned. "I know. I had a stupid nightmare last night that I can't even tell you about because I can't remember the stupid thing. It's stupid."

"Ah," he replied with a nod. "Soo...I'm assuming that's from the...?"

I looked up at him. I guess I never actually told him while he's awake. "Yeah, the baby," I said with a smile. "We're having a baby."

"How far along are you?" He asked with a slight blush to his cheeks. I thought that was adorable.

"Almost two months according to the nurses here," I answered. He gave me a peck on the lips, leaving me craving more. "Are you, you know, ok with it?"

"Dalis of course I'm ok with it! I'm so happy!" He said with a smile. I knew he was telling the truth by the sudden brightness in his eyes. "I'm going to be a dad!"

I laughed. "You're so cute," I mumbled.

"I know," he kissed me once more and returned his attention back to the TV.

"Are you feeling alright? No inconveniences?" I asked.

Calum seemed a bit uncomfortable at this question. "Well, I feel alright. But that George guy came in and told me the damage - I have to learn how to walk on my right foot again once it heals. I guess three of my ribs and my hip healed themselves while I was out. And then there's my skull. No ones really talking about it much except for that I have a mild concussion, so I'm assuming nothing too severe is going on up there."

"You know I'll be here every step of the way, right?" I mumbled into his chest. "Because I love you."

"I love you too," he replied, kissing my head.

I eventually fell asleep to the sound of Calum's breathing while he watched muted television. It felt so nice to return to his side.