Chapter 6 - Almost too far

“Eat your peas, darling,” my mom’s voice seeped through my thoughts. I shook my head trying to focus.

 “Mom, when will we hear from Dad and Uncle Thom? I’m so worried. Caspian…” I sobbed into my hands.

Mom got up and silently walked away. Aunt Ellen had arrived. I could hear them talking. I tried to silence my tears, but loud hiccups flew from my lips. I was only able to catch bits and pieces of what was said.

 “Ellen, I fear… jade. She seems so…”

 “Now, Ruby… Caspian is… heart… time.”

 What were they saying? Silently, I escaped through the hidden door and sauntered down the stairs. Sinking into the plush chair, my sobs continued without fail. As tears slipped from my eyes, Whispers flew through the room. “Jade, my love, meet me outside.” A soft caress pleased my skin. I felt myself rise without thinking and reaching forward. “Jade.” I spun around.

 “Where are you?” I called out.

 A gentle breeze slid past me, and I felt a light tug at my dress. “You coming, love?”

The stairs creaked, and I ran toward them. “Caspian,” I exclaimed.

                         Jade Devore’s journal, August 18, 1901

Breakfast was quiet this morning. I sent the house staff away for the day. I want to be alone with my thoughts. I want to revel in the fantastic dream I had last night. I’m going to share them with you while they’re still fresh on my mind.

Caspian and I were dancing across a marble floor. I was wearing an elegant dress, and he was clad in a fantastic suit. He was divine. Soft music played as we swayed around. Birds were twinkling far off sharing their charming melodies. My head was rested on his masculine shoulder. His arms wrapped around me tightly. His smile rested on the top of my head. His bright eyes sparkled like precious gems. He couldn’t get enough of me, nor I of him. He pulled away bowing to me. His face, his smile, the look in his eyes, it brought such joy to me. My heart ached. I longed for his kiss. He knelt down on one knee. My breath caught. He whisked a beautifully carved box out of his coat pocket and opened it. A thousand jewels gleamed up at me. I nearly fainted with surprise, and I hardly heard his proposal. A struggled yes flew from my lips. I sobbed so hard with happiness I thought I’d die. The music ended, and everything in the room melted away. It was just him and me standing there. He slipped the ring onto my finger.

I woke up. Journal, wasn’t that perfect?

Guess what was lying next to me when I woke, journal? It was the ring. All the emeralds and diamonds were sparkling in superb wonder. I put it on, and I I’ll never take it off.

 The sun was blaring down on me. I followed the echoed voice that whispered lovingly against my ear. The voice brushed my skin and melded with my soul. There was no way I could resist its pull. As if in a trance, I stumbled amidst the afternoon flowers swaying among the spirited breeze, and waited. The voice had ceased, and I was disturbingly alone. I fought through the hazy memory submerged in my brain, and meandered through the garden.

 “Jade, love, here I am,” Caspian yelled.

 “Wait for me.” Hurriedly, I ran toward him. His shadow floated through the flowers. I dashed across the rocks, franticly running after him. “Caspian,” I screamed.

 My voice died as I called out. Dry leaves floated among the long untamed grass. Caspian stood there staring at me. His eyes were blank. I watched a trickle of blood seep from his mouth. Fog trundled in from the west cloaking his slim figure in shadows of darkness. Webs of confusion spun through my mind. There I stood, alone, with voiced seeping through my skin.