24.

24.

FIVE WEEKS LATER...

Taking risks isn't something I'm good at, but today I'm hoping that all changes. Yesterday was my last day at the diner, and today will be the last day I wake up in my bed under this roof.

I'm actually going to college, and it's scary as hell.

My mom won't be there to hold me in her arms when I need her, but for the first time in a long time I feel as if I'm strong enough to stand on my own.

"You all ready to go?" she asks, carrying the last tote out to my car.

"Yeah, I think so."

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you? I feel like I should at least drop you off," she says, trying her best to close my over-packed trunk.

"I'll be fine. It's only a few hours away."

I watch as she finally succeeds, facing me with a triumphant look on her face. It falls away quickly as she wraps her arms around my neck, pulling me as close to her as I can possibly get. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too, Mom," I say, encircling her small waist in my arms.

"I know I haven't been home as much as I should be, but I'm going to miss you. Who's going to watch movies with me while eating Ben & Jerry's?" she asks with a lightness in her voice that I don't often get to hear.

"I'll come home as many weekends as I can, not that it matters. You have someone else to share your ice cream with now," I reply, looking over her shoulder to see Daniel watching us from our front porch. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but they've been dating for a couple months now. I'm happy for them because they're both so good for one another. They truly deserve that kind of happiness.

"Now, don't come home every weekend. I want you to enjoy the things that I didn't get to enjoy when I was your age. This is your time," she whispers, kissing the side of my head.

"I love you, Mom."

"I love you too." She steps back, gripping my upper arms. Her eyes are teary, but she wears a satisfied smile. She makes me feel like I'm going to accomplish something, even if I'm unsure of it myself.

"Well, I better get going. I don't want to drive in the dark," I say, glancing up at the bright summer sky. I know it's going to be a clear night . . . perfect for watching the stars.

My fingers run along the silver chain that hangs around my neck until I feel the little umbrella. I never take it off . . . I don't think I ever will.

I can't leave without saying goodbye to Daniel. He's become a part of my family, and my mom and I are pretty much all he has. I'm ready to shake his hand, but he pulls me into a hug instead.

"I'm proud of you. We all are."

"Thank you, for everything," I whisper, nodding toward my mom.

He smiles, focusing his attention behind me. "She's an amazing woman."

"That she is," I agree, stepping back. "I better get going. Take care of her for me?"

"I will," he says, tucking his hands into his front pockets.

When I stand in front of my mom one last time, I'm a mixture of sadness and excitement all wrapped into one. I remember some kids from high school being absolutely through the moon at the prospect of having their freedom in college. I'm excited to get some space, there's no doubt about that, but I'm also terrified of what's going to happen once I'm dependent on myself and myself alone.