In the Night

It was a night like Ciel had never experienced.

He found it odd how all of these people, despite their huge differencesin demeanor, could be friends the way they were. He saw that night how they all talked and laughed together like family, and it stirred up an odd, warm feeling inside of him.

He laid down in his pink, plush sleeping bag and stared at the stars above him. He could hear the quiet chuckle of the fatigued Undertaker (who had been treating Ciel all evening), but otherwise the night was quiet.

As his eyes glazed over, Ciel remembered why he was in this world. He wasn't there to make friends, he was there to solve the case he was on, and find the culprit. That was all.

And still...

Ciel looked over to Haruhi. She was sleeping in her dark blue sleeping bag, back facing Ciel. He stared at her for a moment before turning back over onto his back and letting out a sigh. What was wrong with him?

◇◇◇◇

The next thing he knew, Ciel was shot up in his sleeping bag, panting out harsh breaths, cold sweat dripping down his face.

"Are you okay, young master?" Sebastian appeared by his side in an instant.

"I'm fine. Leave me alone, Sebastian."

He had, in fact, had another night terror, one that had been haunting him since the torture he went through 4 years ago. It had been occurring less frequently recently though, so he had assumed the nightmares were over altogether by this point. No such luck.

"Haruhi appeared by his side as Sebastian left.

Neither one of them spoke, but just sat together. Haruhi placed her hand over Ciel's in the grass to comfort him, and Ciel did nothing to stop her.

And so, the two sat together silently until a the sun peaked over the horizon.