<<Chapter Two>>

Salamander flew, higher into the atmosphere. He smiled as he felt the wind hit his scales, his large wings cascading in the drift like he'd been flying for all his life. He haulted for a moment, staying still in the air besides his flapping.

Where's Iris?

He turned around, seeing the purple dragon, her scales twisting with pale orange. She was panting when she finally reached Salamander, swerving a bit.
"You okay?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at Iris' confused look.
"Y-Yeah... How did you learn to fly that long without a break?" She heaved.

What does she mean?

 "Um, I guess I just don't get tired as easily."
Iris blinked, the corner of her mouth curling. He could tell she didn't believe him. Salamander turned around, scanning the ground below. It was mostly dry grass, a small stream snaking through it.
"We can take a break here." He muttered, giving his wings a flap before drifting down, Iris following close behind. He landed, folding his span and settling down onto the grass with a sigh. It has been a long flight, a few hours since take off from the forest. He knew they weren't quite at the Mud Kingdom yet, but they certainly weren't near the rainforest. Iris landed softly, sprawling out onto the ground, fanning herself with her purple and blue wings. Her scales were glittering in the sun, like a sparkly amethyst.

She sure inherited her sister's looks, that's for sure. 

 "Do you smell that?"
Salamander looked up at the purple RainWing. She was squinting, glancing around in all directions.

I don't smell anything. What is she talking about.
"No." He grunted. He rested his chin onto the ground, stretching out his wings before tucking them in close.
"Come here!" Iris chipped. She was near the stream, leaning over something.
Salamander hauled himself up reluctantly, reaching Iris and looking down at her new observation. It was the bank of the stream, except the mud smelled awful, almost like dead animals. It had a weird blue coloring to it as well, and it was bubbling.
"What in the name of Phyrria is that, Iris." Salamander hissed, cringing at the horrid substance. She turned to him, looking concerned.
"It's mud. Except... Stranger."
"Ya think?" Salamander mumbled, reaching out a talon. He placed it in the mud, and instantly a burning shock jolted through his hand, sending him whipping his hand away, letting out a shriek. Iris backed up, pale blue scales shooting up her neck.
"Aurgh..." Salamander groaned, clutching his hand. The weird mud had cracked his talon into two, light navy bubbles foaming around the injury. The pain throbbed the broken claw, making Salamander's arm glow with white scales. Iris rushed back up to him, wrapping her hands around his injured arm. Salamander wanted to pull back from her, but he let her examine. Blood began to trickle from his talon's, or what used to be his talon's' root, dripping onto the ground.
"Here." Iris said softly, plucking a large blade of dry grass, neatly tying it around Salamander's broken talon tightly, sealing it back up with a secure knot.
"Thanks."
Salamander eased himself back down, getting well away from the stream before doing so. 

Curses, there goes one of my good talons.

 "You shouldn't have touched it." Iris scowled, looking over at him. Salamander frowned, letting out a hiss.
"It was instinct. Why don't you learn to take the risk. At least we know what it is now. If I haven't of touched it, you'd probably insist to take a bath in it later!" He snapped. Iris' expression changed, her red scales fading. She frowned, letting out a whimper.

Oh for the love of the Queen...

 "Sorry. I didn't mean it that way." Salamander mumbled, breaking eye contact with her. Iris turned her head with no response, looking up at the sky.
"Um, it's almost dusk. Maybe we should camp here for night."
Salamander nodded, letting out a sigh of relief that he didn't have to pick up the conversation again. Deep down he wished he didn't have such a bad temper.