Seven

Niall's heart is at ease in the slightest when he wakes up and finds himself borrowed into his Papa. He's holding him tightly and he's warm and when he sees that his papa has his head rested on his daddy's shoulder, daddy's arm wrapped around Papa's shoulders, he feels warmer and for a moment, he forgets where he is.

It's been two hours since he's fallen asleep and he knows that from the clock on the wall that seems to move as slow as molasses.

He doesn't move that much, just enough to pick out his phone and turn on a game to play while he waits for his fathers to wake up or for the nurse to come back. His screen comes to life when he presses the lock button, lockscreen a picture of him and his papa when Zayn surprised him and came to his last game of the season in June. Niall made the winning goal and because of that, got to keep the trophy that is proudly displayed between him and Zayn in the picture.

He's stuck playing games when suddenly, Zayn jerks. Niall sits up quickly, trying his best not to fall off his lap and shifts to the chair on the other side of him.

Zayn looks around frantically and it looks like a train hits him when he realizes where he is.

"Oh God," he breathes out, covering his mouth in the crook of his elbow. Niall frowns when he sees him start shaking his head and hears his ragged breathing. Liam, sensing the movement, wakes up and catches Zayn right as he stands up. Liam swiftly tugs his arms and the startled man falls into his lap. Liam wraps his arms protectively around him and raises his eyebrows. "Let go!" Zayn struggles. "Let me find them! Let me hold them! Liam, stop! Please let me find them!"

"Zayn, hush," Liam pets his face. He pulls the man close and hides his face in his chest. "It's okay. It's going to be okay. I'm here and I'm going to stay with you until you calm down. But right now, I just need you to breathe and listen to me. Okay?" Zayn lets out a weak sob and nods. "Okay, it's okay. Do you hear my heart? Can you listen to it?" Liam whispers. He used to let Zayn listen to his heart beat on so many restless nights because he knows the older one likes to hear the steadiness. He likes to hear the thump against his ears and he likes feeling the way Liam's chest rises and falls and it always soothed him to hear Liam just living.

The older man moved Liam's coat to the side and its then that Zayn realizes he's still stuck in a suit, probably from coming down to the hospital so quickly. He uses his shaky hands to feel the velvety tie and run his fingers down the buttons before resting them right over the left side of his chest and feeling the steady drum beat against his palm. Liam smiles and rests his hand over his. Zayn stares at it and sniffles before going and resting his head against it.

"Niall, here. Move to the other side. Okay?" Liam requests, seeing how Zayn's legs were awkwardly hanging down. Niall obeys and moves to the other side of Liam. He continues to rake his fingers through the raven strands until Zayn is lulled back to sleep, his body heavy in Liam's arms but still so small.

"Daddy?" Niall whispers, scared he might wake up his papa. Liam continues to rock from side to side but still takes the time to look at his child with raised eyebrows. "I-" he stops and stares at Zayn then back at Liam who just glanced down at Zayn and smiled ever so slightly before looking back at Niall. The blue eyed boy takes a deep breath. "You did a good thing."

"I'm just here for you and your brothers," Liam explains light heartedly.

Niall shakes his head. "No, Daddy. You're here for him too." Niall rests his head against Zayn's back and sighs out. "And that's good."

"You're silly when you're tired," Liam remarks.

"And you're still in love with Papa no matter what," Niall smirks, eyes shut and arms crossed. Liam doesn't respond, just takes to rubbing circles over Zayn's side. "I guess that makes us both funny. Should we start a comedy show?"