Entry One

Dear Journal,

Dauntless.

I thought I'd belong in Dauntless. Being from Candor- constantly telling the truth- gives you a type of bravery. I guess it just wasn't the right kind of bravery the Dauntless possess. It didn't help that I was so clumsy.

Today was the choosing ceremony, and also the first day of initiation. Jumping on the train and off onto a roof was bearable. I just had to fling my body in the air. Someone though, I think it was a girl, didn't make it. No one even stopped to bother with her. It was as if nothing had happened. How could they just brush past a death like that?

But jumping off the roof... not knowing what was waiting down below was terrifying. I had opened my mouth to speak my thoughts, but shut it quickly. I wasn't in Candor anymore. Showing weakness or fear was not the Dauntless thing to do.

I watched in awe as a girl walked to the edge. She was wearing plain gray clothes and had long blonde hair. I remembered her from the choosing ceremony. She was the only person from Abnegation to transfer to Dauntless. It took some serious bravery to do that, and I respected her because of it.

After throwing her sweater at someone who was making fun of her, she leaped off the roof showing no fear. It was impressive and her bravery was almost beautiful in a way. It was the kind I was looking for. I should keep an eye on her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wrote this for class a year or two ago, and I hope you enjoy! I wrote this with the Divergent book in my hands, so the quotes and details should be correct. Thanks for reading, just be careful because, for those of you who have read or seen Divergent, you know what ends up happening to Al.