Entry Five

Dear Journal,

I wonder about Eric sometimes. What made him so indescribably evil? After I had beat Will, Christina and a girl named Molly fought. Tris and I watched together. She was squeezing my arm and I was holding her close. Christina was getting beat pretty badly, and it was hard to watch.

Just as Molly was about to kick Christina again, she yelled, "Stop!"

We sighed, glad we didn't have to watch anymore. But Eric had other plans for her.

He made us all walk to the railing, the only thing that separated us from the rushing river. To my horror, Eric told Christina that she must hang over the chasm for five minutes, and if she succeeded, her cowardice would be forgotten.

I took a deep breath and set my watch. Five minutes could be a long time. As the seconds ticked by, Christina began to cry, her fingers slipping. I had to do something.

"Come on Christina. Come on, grab it again, you can do it!" I yelled. Tris began to help cheer our friend on. As soon as the five minutes were up, I hurried over to Christina. Eric told me that she had to get up on her own, but I argued back that she had already done what he said.

Tris and I helped her up and held her close, glad we didn't lose a friend today.