Chapter 12: I Like It

Skilar's POV

"So where are we going?" Lauren impatiently asked me for the hundredth time. We were on a city bus and surprisingly were the only two people on the bus. It's Los Angeles, it's rarely ever this empty.

"Patience, babe," I told her with a smirk which only made her even more impatient.

"Why'd we take the bus if you made me bring skateboards?" Lauren asked. It was true, we both were wearing our helmets and Lauren had skateboards sitting next to her. Since this was a date and we weren't out yet, we both wore big hoodies and sunglasses to hide our identities.

"Dang, you ask a lot of questions," I replied to her.

"Ski, what are we doing?" Lauren asked once again.

"Wow, it feels like I'm teaching a kindergartener who asks the same question twenty times," I said laughing and she just gave me that look that said "I'm going to hurt you" without her needing to open her mouth. Even with her sunglasses on, I could feel that look coming from her.

"This must not be a real date since I'm not even wearing nice clothes," Lauren said. I just stayed quiet because I knew she would take that back after the night was over.

"You'll love it, I know you will," I said affirmatively.

"I would know if I'll like it too if you told me," Lauren said anxiously. I laughed once more then kissed her, catching her off guard. When I pulled away, I smiled as I saw her cheeks were bright red.

"It's okay Laur," I whispered, "No one can tell it's us." She shyly nodded in return and intertwined her fingers with mine. When the bus stopped, she immediately took her hand away from mine. As people got on, I decided we could get off too so we got the skateboards then departed the bus.

"Where to?" Lauren yelled to me as we were on the crowded sidewalk of Santa Monica. I had memorized a map of Santa Monica and the address of the place where we were going. We were only a block away.

"This way!" I yelled to her as I skated away from the water. When we got to the destination, Lauren was confused as we stopped in front of what looked like office buildings.

"I know you still need a little more hours for your Christian Service," I said as we started walking to the building. It was a homeless shelter.

"I love doing service and I wanted to share this wonderful experience of humility with someone I love," I said to her smiling before we got into the building.

"Oh my gosh, I love you so much," Lauren replied. I quickly squeezed her hand tightly then opened the door. We took our helmets, sunglasses, and hoodies off then put them, along with the skateboards, in a cubby that said FOR VOLUNTEERS.

"Hello, we're here to volunteer. We're with Bishop Montgomery," I told the lady at the front desk with a smile.

"Ah, yes, that school group is in a room just down the hall, fifth one on the right," the lady said nicely, pointing in the direction we needed to go in.

"Thank you," I said then Lauren and I went on our way. Lauren was kind of scared because she saw how many homeless people there were and I could tell she wanted to hold my hand but she couldn't in public.

"My mom would be proud, I don't even help with dinner," she said lightly laughing. My mom would be proud too, I'm sure she's watching. Lauren then asked as we were walking towards the rest of the school group, "Why do you never talk about your parents?"

I blushed then quickly hid it by telling a lie, "They're always busy so I don't see them much, you'll meet them someday."

Well, it was half a lie, they probably are pretty busy up in Heaven. Maybe I'll bring Lauren to my parents' grave someday, maybe not.