9 Tales of Greek Gods

1. Aphrodite tells people on the street they're beautiful, but only if they're unaccompanied. She anticipates the slouching shoulders of those turning up again and them lifting their chins. Sometimes they're being followed by people who have risen up, like filthy sea foam. She has come to realize that beauty is aggressive and aggressiveness mocks beauty. She tries not to lose faith in either.

2. Whatever happened to Icarus? He had aspired for goals, and it wasn't in his nature to disappear. His father believes that he had a bright future. His dad fashioned a pick up truck just for him. People are betting on whether he drove off a cliff or drove the truck into the ocean. Daedalus, his father, keeps repeating to reporters, "He overestimated himself." Is this what escape means?

3. Dionysus takes his last drink of wine at a local brewery. People tease him for being a lightweight. People laugh at him for wearing makeup. He laughs, a belly laugh, because the idea is amusing. All he did was paint his face. He stumbles out of his chair, and people wonder if he is drunk, somehow, despite only drinking two glasses of wine. He is not.

4. Persephone receives a good morning text from Hades after she sends a good night one. As life has been slowly killing her, the idea of Hades has kept her alive.

5. Morpheus hasn't dreamt in weeks. He asks Hypnos for help, but it is to no avail. He wonders what is wrong.

6. Artemis's skill is growing steadily in her archery practice. She holds the bow and arrow, releases and hits the target. Her brother is next to her, smiling in his victory as well. Her eyes glow with light as she taunts the boy Adonis, who says he is better.

7. Zeus attempts to stalk a woman on the street. Aphrodite catches his eye, and he smiles at her. It is a race to see who can get to her faster. The man with a wife or the girl with a heart?

8. Poisedon is joked about by his brother, his equal. His arms are thin, wimpy. Yet he has always held power. If he is the weak one, how is he equal?

9. Apollo offers rides in an old chariot. Occasionally for money, but mostly not. He smiles at everyone he meets. He walks, quick on his feet, letting them enter. He needs money desperately, but he is genuine in his enjoyment for the rides.