V

One Day later

Jose voice rings in my head. The words he said from yesterday has me thinking way too much.

I'm not whoring around...

Okay, fine. Maybe I am a little, but...

He's right. Every single girl I've slept with look and acts just like Amy. What the hell is with that?

My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I read the screen and sigh.

Ashley- hiya. Wanna come over?

I put down my phone, and then pick it back up just as quickly.

Sorry... I'm at work.

I feel like a sucky type of person as I send the text back, and I look down at Pluto. "Great." I say blandly, "now I'm a liar, too."

Pluto growls lightly as if too say, "yes, you are." And I blow a cheek full of air out of my mouth.

"That's it girl, I need a smoke."

Pluto stares up at me blandly, and I grab the box of Malbaro lights on the coffee table.

It's freezing outside, but the frigid air is a friendly relief to all my stress.

As I light up, I try to figure myself out.

What DO I want?

I take a long drag from the cigarette, and let the smoke filter through my nostrils.

I know what I want. I want Amy, of course, but I don't know how I'm supposed to deal with that. Even if I were to see her in, what? Five days? She would probably throw a fit. I left her years ago. She probably hates me now. God, what if she doesn't even remember me?

She probably doesn't. She's probably a millionaire, some big shot with five ladies attached to her hip. Who would want to have to remember me, when you have a life like that?

I take one last pull, inhaling so hard that I feel dizzy as I blow the smoke back out. I just want to not think. I don't want to worry about this anymore.

I decide to call the one person who I know will take my mind off of Amy.
____________________

One hour later

"Hey, beautiful."

I close my front door, and Jose smirks down at me.

"Don't call me that."

"It's worth a shot."

I smile, and Jose flings himself onto the couch. Almost immediately Pluto jumps on his lap.

"So....what was the emergency?"

"No emergency. I just needed a distraction."

Pluto licks the side of Jose's face, and Jose laughs loudly.

"A distraction from what?"

"Life."

He shrugs, and then says, "fair enough. What are we gonna do?"

"Something normal. I don't know...let's go to a park, or an arcade or something."

Jose smirks at Pluto. " I don't know about you, amigo poco, but that sounds like a date to me."

"One-Do not speak to my dog in Spanish about me, and two- It is most definitely NOT a date."

"If you say so," He sighs. "Alright, let's go to the park then... They just opened up a new one downtown."