XIV

"So. Amy, your apartment's on Brarens street right?"

Wolfe looks into the rear view, and I nod. Beside me, Amy is asleep. Her body is slumped and her head rests against my shoulder. Our hands are still loosely intertwined from when Amy was still awake. The events of tonight have tired her out, I guess. But I have no problems with the situation. I'm just glad that at least for now, our tensions have all been resolved.

He pulls onto my street, and I sigh. I really don't want to leave. I just want to stay in the back of this car and let Amy lean against me for the rest of the night.

The car slows to a stop, and Wolfe sighs. "Here we go."

We both look at Amy, and Wolfe motions for me to wiggle out of her grasp.

I do, but as soon as my hand slips out of Amy's she wakes up.

"Skai?"

I can't help but think about how sexy her groggy voice sounds. "Hey. I'm going home, Amy."

She mumbles something, and I chuckle as I unbuckle my seat belt. Her eyes close again, and before I hop out of Wolfe's car I lean down and kiss her nose. "Bye beautiful."

Wolfe looks over at us and then smiles at me. "What?" I ask.

"It's good to have you back."

He continues to smile at me, and I cant help but smile back. "I'll see you later, Wolfe."

He winks in a goofy way, and I laugh.

"Night."

I watch him drive away, and then head up the stairs into my apartment. I expect my dog to come running at me as usual, but instead I find her sitting on the couch and glaring at me.

I chuckle. Pluto usually does this when I leave her for too long. She prefers it when I'm a loner, when I stay home and lay around with her all day.

"Hey girl. You wanna go outside?"

She barks, and hops off the couch eagerly as I go to get her leash.

I hook her up, and open the door. I'm surprised to find Jose before me, with his arm raised as if to knock on the door.

"Oh. Hello."

I smile, and hold Pluto by my side. "Hey, what's up?"

He frowns, and cocks his head. "Did you forget about our "Just-friend date tonight?"

I gasp.

"Jose! I'm so sorry, I completely forgot!"

He sighs, and chuckles. "I figured that when you failed to show up at the bar earlier."

"Oh no." I put my hands over my face. "I'm so sorry."

He purses his lips and then smiles gently. "It's alright, really. Just keep in mind that you owe me a beer now. Are you going out?"

I nod, and he asks "Is it cool if I come along?" I agree and we head down the stairs and onto the front lawn of the apartment building.

"So, what was so important that you forgot about our little date?"

"It's an unbelievably long story."

"I have time."

I decide that it wouldn't hurt  to tell him, and I also kind of want to vent to someone, so after a moment I cave in and explain my incredibly long night to him.

It take's me a while, but once I finish my story, Jose smiles at me. 

"So you and Amy are together now?"