3: First Day Adventures

{Steve's POV}

Today's the day!

It had been six months since we decided to adopt, and now we were finally able to bring our child home.

"Steve, stop doing that," Tony sighed, swatting my knee. In my excitement and impatience, I had been bouncing my leg.

"I'm just really excited."

"I know. You wouldn't shut up yesterday." We were in the new Jasmine Day's Boys Home, build with money from my generous husband, waiting for our new son.

"Steve, stop," Tony said again, tapping my leg.

"Sorry."

"I'm tired, I'm gonna lay on you now," Tony yawned, resting his head in my lap. I rubbed his arm and laid my head back, becoming absorbed in my thoughts.

{Tony's POV}

Does this guy ever stop moving? His leg has been bouncing nonstop for at least 20 minutes and I'm trying to relax.

Steve seems zoned out, probably fantasizing about our kid. I lay on his lap, glancing around the boring room. I gave her all that money, and this place turned out so boring. Dull blueish-gray walls, that ugly gray carpet you find in classrooms, and really stiff, uncomfortable chairs.

We had already signed all the paperwork and were ready to take our kid home, but Jasmine went to gather his things, even though there weren't many. Honestly, I hope children come with instruction manuals because I have no idea how they work.

People always say "follow your instincts" but I don't think I'll be able to do that, as I have literally NO instincts. Whatsoever.

Jasmine walked into the room, one of the older boys behind her carrying a bag. "This has Peter's clothes and some toys in it, and here's Peter." She handed me the backpack and the child, smiling widely.

"Steve." I nudged him with my knee but he didn't budge. "Steven Grant Rogers." He sat straight up in surprise and I chuckled. "Hold this." I handed him Peter so I could put the backpack on.

"Hey kid, what's your name?" I asked the brown-haired boy who gave me the bag.

"Jeremy," he responded, slightly confused.

"Well Jeremy, don't tell the Miss," I whispered, winking as I handed him a $5 bill. He smiled and pocketed it, thanking me before trotting back down the hall.

"He's allergic to cats and hampsters," Jasmine informed us as we walked to the door. "Also, do not take his bear."

"What happens if you take the bear? Does he turn all gremlin?" I joked. She laughed and shook her head.

"No, not gremlin. It's just endless screaming. Just let him keep the bear."

"Good advice."

"Take good care of him, he's my favorite," she said sternly.

"Will do, ma'am," Steve said in his soldier voice.

"Thanks again guys. For everything," she said again. I gave her a hug because sometimes, I can be nice. "Thank you."

"No problem," Steve assured her. "We'll see you later!" We walked out to the car and went back to the Tower, smiles on all three of our faces.

***

{Third Person}

The second the trio entered the main level of the Tower, Clint came running into the room screeching.