Chapter 7

He found Alec in the bathroom, standing naked before the mirror as steam poured over the top of the shower doors.

"The warden didn't stay long," Alec said.

Frank stared at him through the fogged mirror. "How did you know it was the warden?" he whispered.

"I hear things."

How much did you hear?

"He should leave well enough alone."

His pulse quickening, Frank asked unsteadily, "What do you mean?"

Alec met the stare of Frank's reflection. "He wants to take you from me...and give you to another man."

Oh fuck –he heard that? Fear clenched Frank's chest. "Alec..."

"Is that what you want as well, doc?"

His breath shaky, Frank swallowed thickly. "No, Alec."

The boy twisted around and looked at Frank with his dark eyes. "You wouldn't lie to me, doc."

"No," Frank rasped.

Alec turned his back to Frank once more. "He really shouldn't stick his nose in where it don't belong."

A shudder swept through Frank like a cold wind. "He means no harm, Alec. He...he doesn't understand...all of this. He doesn't know about you."

Alec stepped to the shower and opened the door, then looked at Frank. A small smile formed. "Join me, doc?"

Frank stared at the boy, a storm of emotions pounding his heart. Get rid of him. He is too dangerous –you can't keep him.

"Doc?" Alec held out his hand and looked at Frank with casual inquiry.

"Alec..." he trembled. "We need to talk...about the things you did."

His hand lowering, Alec's smile faded away. "You said you couldn't talk to me anymore, the way you used to."

Frank lowered his eyes. "I saw the news, Alec...what you did to your mother. What...you made Chuck do to..." Frank's throat closed. "...to those children."

"I didn't make him do anything," Alec murmured.

Frank looked up. "What?"

Alec stared at him. "I wasn't the only monster in the asylum, doc. I left you the memories, so you would know what he was. He lusted for children. I can't make anyone go against their nature...only submit to it."

"And your mother?"

"She was a wretched whore," he stated simply. His shadowed eyes studied Frank. "You want something from me that I can't give you, doc."

"And what is that, Alec?" Frank asked quietly.

The boy shrugged. "Remorse," he said. "It's your nature to try and apply human emotions to me, because that's what you want to see in me –maybe to justify your own feelings for me. But they aren't there, doc. You should know that by now."

Frank's throat worked around the forming lump. Alec was right –he needed to see something in him. Some shred of humanity. Even if it was just a glimpse. "If you feel nothing..." Frank said thickly and stepped forward. "...have no human connection..." He brushed his fingertips through Alec's hair. "...then why did you come back to me? To the one person that you know cares most for you in this life?"

"Animal instinct?" Alec murmured and entered the shower.

Frank followed, unmindful that he was still clothed. "If that's all it is –just animal instinct –then why does it matter to you if Ron sets me up with another man? If you're not really here for me, then what difference does it make?" His throat squeezed tighter, eyes stinging. "Why would you even care who I share my bed with? Who I share my life with?"