Chapter Three

Into Carrie's sinfully delicious dream featuring Lucas Sullivan orange and yellow flames intruded, plus the wail of approaching sirens.

"That doesn't belong in here, go away," she mumbled.

She'd consumed most of a bottle of wine to get to sleep, something she had never done before. Maybe the wine... no, it wasn't wine. She could see a flickering of something outside her closed eyes. Startled, she opened her eyes to see flames outside the window in the woods. She rushed to the window, horrified. The approaching sirens were from newly arriving fire trucks. Others were already battling the blaze. She recognized Lucas by his stance. He was talking to a fireman and the guesthouse caretaker. Pulling on sweats, she went into the sitting room then stopped dead. Pinned to the door in big bold handwriting was a note for her.

Carrie, do not unlock the outside doors for ANYONE. I don't care if he says he is the police. DO NOT come outside. You are safe in here. I have secured the premises. Lucas.

What in the world! Lucas had been in here. But he hadn't awakened her to tell her about either the fire or the danger. What was going on? Ed had said Lucas could explain, but of course, she hadn't asked. She'd just run away from him to skulk in this suite. Lucas really was here for a "project."

She laughed sarcastically. "Project" pyromaniac was it? What expertise did he have that Ed had turned to him?

They certainly were going to talk today. She had a right to know how serious the situation was. She wanted to know what was going on around here. She might not get the full details but she was going to get as many as possible. She walked back to look out her bedroom window. Sitting on the window seat, she watched the battle to douse the fire.

She hadn't been sitting long when the back doorbell rang. Goosebumps popped out on her arms. Afraid to answer the door because of Lucas' note, she rocked back and forth with indecision. As the bell rang again, Lucas turned, looking at the house. He and the fireman started running toward it. Catapulting out of the seat, she flung open the suite door heading for the front stairs. At the landing where the staircase turned she looked out of the octagonal window. A man jumped into the passenger side of a car which sped off. Heart racing, she sank down onto the step. Then she forced herself to her feet. Lucas and the fireman were near the tire tracks. A sheriff's patrol car arrived a few minutes later. Too bad it wasn't in time to follow the arsonist.

Lucas pointed to something at the house, looking down at a screen, she assumed. It must have something to do with the house security. She needed to ask about that too. Somewhere there was a panic room. It had never crossed her mind that she would need to know its location. He must know where it was. She made a mental note to have him show her.

When he turned back to the first responders, she considered going out and joining them. Intruding to ask everyone her questions; what was on her mind. But she would honor Lucas note. She didn't need her protector mad at her. Her protector, the man she had stood up, could it be more ironic. After a few moments deciding whether to go up or down the stairs; she chose down to make a pot of coffee.

*****

Lucas angled his body so he could see Carrie if she walked past the wide glass panels on either side of the front door. He caught a glimpse of a light color, assumed it was her. She wasn't coming out to join them, then. Smart woman. She would follow directions. That would make his task much easier. He would have to rework, though, what he had planned to say if she asked him about Ed's message. With tonight's fire and the doorbell ringing, he couldn't take an easy out; both of them would have to be vigilant until the arsonist was found. He'd send Ed an update as soon as he got back in the house. He shook his head the tiniest bit, Carrie, though, might not be willing to wait that long for her explanation. Refocusing, he returned his full attention to the deputy.