Chapter Seventeen

"Thank you both for coming today," Dixon said.

He had given them three days at home before leaving a cryptic message asking for a meeting with them.

Carrie snorted. "So we could have said no?"

"I'm being polite, observing the formalities, if you will." Dixon brushed a microscopic piece of lint from his jacket.

"Just get on with it," Carrie said.

"I have heard from Mr. Gold."

"Really, you have heard from Gold?" Skepticism laced her tone.

"Yes. If you remember, you killed his brother. Having somehow infiltrated our organization, he had given his brother a way to contact me."

"Every recruit can do that? That's impressive openness for an organization that I cannot name." Her hands were on her hips. She had hoped for a name outside, on the door, on the sign-in desk but there was nothing. It seemed odd that there was only a man in a suit and an earpiece to greet them. No one walked in or out of the doors behind him. No car in the parking lot besides there. No cars even in view even though at least two people were in this building. Actually, she suspected the building was full leaving her another mystery to solve.

"Anyway, he wants you to know that he is holding your mother hostage," Dixon replied, ignoring her snarky observation.

"Unlikely. My mother must have stayed with him when she dropped me off for school. She chose a drug dealer over her own daughter," she sputtered bitterly.

"He will kill your mother unless you meet him unarmed at a place of his choosing. Now, you wouldn't want that on your conscience, would you?" Dixon asked rhetorically.

"I'm not trading my life for hers. If that's what this meeting is about, we can go, Lucas." She turned and walked towards the door.

"I didn't say I had agreed to those terms. Hear me out, if you please." Dixon moved in front of the door, blocking her exit.

"I'm sure you have someone who can substitute for me. Who can mimic my voice, my mannerisms, my movements—"

"Who cannot mimic your knowledge, answer questions that only you know the answers to? Would you like to give a detailed interview about Gold's attempts to molest you?" He was watching her closely. When she flinched he repeated, "Would you like to relive in detail your every encounter? Or would you prefer to meet him yourself, with us backing you? Maybe he won't bring up the past, but you never know—"

"Cut it, Dixon." Lucas wrapped his arms around her trembling form.

She leaned back against him, emotions roiling in her belly. She felt like throwing up. "I'll think about," she ground out weakly. "I don't know which is worse at this point in time."

"Isn't that why Lucas trained you? So you could defeat Gold? Has your courage faded so fast?" Dixon needled.

"Don't make me say it again, Dixon." Lucas' hold tightened for a moment.

"I'm not sure how much faith I have in you as backup except for the fact that you want Gold. As long as you get him, you don't care what he does to me. It's not courage I lack but trust." She shook her head in disgust. "If he wants to meet me, it must be on my terms." She held up a hand when Dixon opened his mouth. "I trust Lucas. When he says I'm ready, we can talk. We'll be in touch, shortly. Please step aside so we can leave."

"Yes, do," Lucas echoed.

Dixon glowered but moved out of their way. She was surprised not to hear a parting shot. However, she wasn't surprised to see Dan and Chad waiting for them in front of the condo.