Chapter Three: Bound Freedom

For some reason, I didn't feel as free as I imagined would when I left home. There had never been a distinct home for me. During school, I stayed with Aunt Sarah and Uncle Charlie; during the summer, I stayed with my parents in one of their various houses. A feeling of uncomfortableness had always been present when I was at either, and I vied, for a long time, for that feeling to go away. I felt stupid for having that constant sensation of being out of place. And, sometimes, I even felt sorry for myself. The part of me didn't care was the part of me that told my feelings to can it and move on. But there wasn't any possible way for me to redo an entire childhood of missed birthdays, forgotten Christmas cards, and empty promises.

I hadn't really escaped the long tendrils of my parents' influence. How could I not, when there were five Secret Service agents escorting me to a private plane, where four fifths of them would continue on with me until I arrived in New York? And Jethro was the one staying behind. There was a strong emptiness in the pit of my stomach when I thought about that. Jonathon was right-they were here for my safety-and I accepted that. I just wished it didn't have to be that way.

An hour and a half into the car ride, I slid the books off my lap and put them in the seat between me and Ahern. I folded my arm beside my ear to use as a buffer between the window and my skull, and attempted, once again, to close my eyes. Sleep was resistant. I couldn't find a single way to make my eyes shut for more than ten seconds. Maybe it was that uncomfortable feeling that had been hooked in my stomach for too long. All I knew was that there was no sleeping with Ahern beside me and Perkins humming the catchy tune of "Anchors Aweigh."

If there had been a way to ditch them, I would gladly take that opportunity. I foresaw plenty of times to avoid them at Salva Serum. Eventually, I would make a few friends-not the overly popular kind-and I'd use them as excuses to hide in a broom closet. But from now until I got to school, I could not see any instance where I would have a minute to myself.

"Miss Jessie?"

I looked up and saw Jethro trying to catch my eyes from the mirror.

"Mhm?" I lifted my chin to look meet his gaze.

"Would you like us to stop and get you something to eat for lunch?" he asked.

"Do you really think we have time for that, Jethro?" Agent Perkins asked. "We have the be at the plane at exactly two on-the-dot."

Jethro shot her a look that nearly burned off his shades.

She, with a reluctantly submissive purse of her lips, twisted around in the seat to look over her shoulder at me. There was a smart phone in her hand with lines of numbers and letters streaming down the screen; she noticed me looking at it and quickly clicked the screen off, jamming it in her pants' pocket. Demone seemed absorbed in the chunky screen that sat in his lap, typing away without stopping.

"No, thank you," I said.

"You sure?" Ahern checked. He sounded very concerned.

"Yes." I pushed my hair on my shoulder to act as a barrier between my face and the rest of society. "I'm sure. I ate lunch already." I made sure I spoke this loud enough for all to hear.

Jethro knew that was a lie. And I was thankful he didn't call me out on it. He could feel my distress. He was like a faithful dog: He always knew when I was feeling sad or "down in the dumps." I could put my trust in Jethro that he would comfort me when I needed it-sometimes when I didn't even know I needed it-and that he would always be there.

The rest of the drive there was quiet, like before. I started memorizing the order in which we passed gas stations. And then I started to make up algebraic equations in my head, I could see the front of the airport. We drove our massive vehicle around the building until we found the entrance to our private runway. I could see our plane, grounded, with the stairs extending to the glisteningly hot asphalt. Waves of sweltering heat made the ground look littered with puddles, but the pooling water shrunk as we neared the plane.