Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2 - The Surprise Attack

---

Everyone was busy, eating at the soldiers cafeteria. Each of them were chattering, relaxing and having their fun times while they were having their break from their training. All of them were having their own talk with their squad mates, not until when a group of people entered the cafeteria that made the silence conquer the place.

Little by little, people started to chatter once again, with their low voices, as they look upon the group of people who entered. Eren, who was sitting alone on a vacant table suddenly stood up and look at them with his bright smile. It had been a long time since he spent a lunch with his friends.

Jean, who was walking first among the group walked towards Eren and gave him a hug.

"How's it going with you?" Jean said right after he removed himself from the hug. Smiling at Eren, who was smiling at him as well.

"Quite shock with what you did. Aside from that, everything's fine." Eren joked that made the others laugh. It had been years that made the two of them forget that they were mortal enemies and they have grown up already, that made them think that saving humanity was their first priority rather than fighting each other.

"You've never been to any expeditions with us again." Sasha suddenly spoke from behind, saying those words as a greeting to the boy in front of them. 

Eren looked at her and gave her a sad smile. "Well,  I guess... being a titan shifter is hard." 

"Come on, don't be sad." Someone suddenly said that made them draw their attention to the little blonde guy who was standing next to Jean.

"Armin." Eren called before he smiled at him and looked at the guy beside the blonde. "Connie." After uttering those words, their group was conquered by silenced before Eren looked down to his feet and sighed, that made the others look at him with confusion written on their faces.

"I guess, we are the only ones left?" Eren said as he looked up to his colleagues, words that painted sadness to their eyes as memories of their old friends flashed back to their minds.

"Well, Annie's being sent to where we are now." Connie suddenly joked that made them look at him with their eyes telling him that it was not a good joke. Annie was still in her crystal, and the government decided to send Annie to the scouting legion for a more reliable protection that it needed. 

After their moment of silence, all of them decided to grab their food and sat together on one table as they started to chat like what the other soldiers were doing. Getting to know what changed when they were busy for the passed two years doing their own jobs.

Eren, Hanji was busy studying him with his titan form. Also, he was being trained on how to control himself when he was on his titan form and discovering things that he could do with the power that was injected to him by his father. With the help of the queen, Historia Reiss, some of the memories were flashed back to his mind every time she touched him. Nevertheless, he was still a member of the Special Operation Squad but was on hiatus.

Mikasa, Armin and Levi often visited him during his training if they had time, but as time passed, the legion became busy on training the new recruits for they did not know when the titans would attack them again.

Jean, who finally had his own squad, personally picked by Levi for him, he was doing a great job with them and they were known as the Second Special Operation Squad that was under Levi.

Sasha and Connie, who were the only ones left under Levi's squad with Mikasa, Armin, Eren and Jean.

Armin, the young strategist acknowledged by the higher ranks who was working with the disabled Commander Erwin with his plans and on how to avoid casualties in every expedition they did. He was the one who thought about sending the new graduated trainees and the newbies of the scouting legion one by one in every expedition for them to gain experience and for them to be monitored easily by the veterans.