3. Awkward At Avi's

Tomorrow came way too fast. I didn't want to go over to his house and talk to him about how he was dying and how funny I was, or how cute I was.

Avi was a little annoying in Hebrew school. He knew all the answers to everything, and only occasionally got a bad grade.

We were paired for a project one time, and I didn't think I was going to survive.

Avi's a quiet, sweet kid, but that made it so awkward. So whenever I went over to Avi's house to work on the project, it was always eerily quiet, and one of his parents would come check on us every 10 minutes, and his older brother would occasionally come and mess with us.

But aside from that, he was just really awkward in general.

So, in the morning my mother, father, and I went to Synagogue, and then came home. We didn't have any traditions, like, going out to eat or anything.

We weren't even home for an hour, when my mother called me upstairs.

I huff an annoyed breath, shoving myself away from my computer and stomping up the steps.

"What mom," I ask rather aggressively.

She gives me a look, and I knew then that I shouldn't have done that.

"Do you want your computer taken away," she asks. "Because that's something that can be arranged."

I sigh, and pinch the bridge of my nose. "No. I do not wish to have my computer taken."

"Good," she replies.

I lean onto the counter top, waiting for her to speak. "So you wanted to speak with me," I rush.

She nods, wiping off the dining table. "Yes," she begins. "I'm sending you over to Avi's today. Right now."

I cut my eyes over to the side, looking at my cat, Wyatt, who had jumped up on the island.

"Why," I ask. "He seemed to be fine at Synagogue today." We went to the same temple as Avi and his family.

She walks back over to the island, grabbing Wyatt and basically throwing him on the floor.

"You obviously weren't paying attention," she turn on the sink, beginning to wash dishes. "He looked so sad today. He wasn't talking to anyone like he normally does. He really needs a friend or two."

I sigh in defeat, knowing that even if I somehow locked myself into my room, and managed to put on a titanium lock, and boarded up my windows, that she would still make me go.

"Fine," I grumble. "But only because I really don't want you pulling me out the door and driving me to Avi's." 

I pull on shoes and walk out the door, making sure to shut it hard behind me. Our door was also falling off it's hinges. You had to practically force it shut.

I walk down to Scott's house, banging on the door. "Come on, I know your up, Scott Hoying! Get your butt out here!"

The door swings open and Scott's dad, Rick, was in front of me.

"Hey, Rick," I nod. "Can you send Scott? We're going over to help a friend.."

Rick nods, turning his head back. "Scott Richard Hoying," he yells.

Scott comes running out, tripping over the coffee table. "God, sorry. No need to keep freakin' shouting," he sasses, catching himself and walking out the door.

We make it to Avi's in about five minutes. Scott and I look at each other before walking up the driveway.

"Who's knocking," Scott asks. "You are because it was your moms idea."

I sigh, and walk up the steps, knocking on the door three times, and then shoving my hands into my pockets.

The door opens about a minute later, Avi's mother on the other side of it.

She smiles, looking between us. "Mitch, Scott, it's nice to see you two," she greets.

"Hey, Mrs. Kaplan," I smile, nudging Scott who was just standing there.

"Hey," he chimes.

"Are you two here to see Avi," she asks, opening the door wider for us to come in.

We get inside, and I nod against my will. "Yes ma'am. Is he here," I ask.

"In his room," she answers. "Third door down that hallway," she points for us.

"Alright, thank you," I reply, pulling Scott down the hallway with me.

We get up to Avi's bedroom door. It was shut. I knock slightly, before opening it. "Avi," I call.

"Who is- oh," he answers, looking up at us.

See, the thing is, he didn't look like he was dying. Which was awkward. Let's face it, this whole visit would he awkward.

We walk over to his bed, sitting down, just inviting ourselves in.

Avi looks back down at whatever he was doing, and basically completely ignores us.

"We didn't bring anything to cheer you up. Just ourselves," I say. "My mom sent us." And then I realize that was the very wrong thing to say.

He lets out a breathy chuckle. "You didn't have to come here if you didn't want to," Avi replies.

Awkward at Avi's.