Chapter 2

When Siara and Daersel's feet were sore, they hurried to Daersel's house, laughing uncontrollably at seeing Baelemar try to find Siara while being bombarded by women. "We don't have much time before the Supper," Daersel said. "Why not get ready?"

She patted her bed. "Come sit."

Siara smiled and sat facing the window over the head of Daersel's bed. Then, the tugging on her hair began. It took a little while, but when Siara turned back to her friend, she saw her face light up in a smile. "Go look in the mirror," Daersel exclaimed excitedly.

Siara stood up and went to look in the small mirror that Daersel had hung beside her door. When she saw her reflection, her breath caught. Her black hair fell in soft waves past her shoulders, framing her heart-shaped face and made her bright ice blue eyes pop. Her cheeks had a pink flare and her lips were full and tinged crimson. She gasped softly and touched her cheek. "I haven't looked like this in years," she whispered.

"You'll certainly get looks tonight," Daersel laughed.

"I..."

They heard a horn blow and they quickly pulled on some nice dresses and hurried out to the village square. In the short time they had been in Daersel's house, there had been tables, chairs and decorations set up. The decorations were mainly flowers, draped on tables, chairs, and the ground and hung on walls and rooftops. Siara smiled widely at the sight. "It's beautiful!" she said.

"I'm glad you like it," her mother said from behind.

The two girls spun around and Kari smiled at them both. "You both look wonderful. Siara, I don't think I've ever seen you more beautiful."

Her mother hugged her close and whispered, "I'm sorry about what I said, we'll talk about it later."

Siara said nothing, she just hugged her mother close and once she left, Daersel and she sat themselves at one of the tables.

The Official Council were all in Punaria for the Supper, an annual gathering, this year in Punaria. It was a huge event for the village- it was sure to boost their status. Siara was lucky enough to have her mother on The Council- the only woman and the only being in Petalion to be on The Council. Daersel whispered something to Siara about sneaking off into the woods after the Supper but then the Council took their seats at the main table. Siara peaked over the many heads and saw Baelemar two tables away staring at her intensely. She rolled her eyes and looked up at the leaders. The head of The Council, a Human named Phialo, stood and raised his hands with a smiled on his face. "Welcome, my friends, to the one hundred and fifty-ninth Official Council Supper!"

There was a roar of clapping, and then it subsided. "I am pleased to be enjoying another one of these delightful dinners and I welcome you all to the lovely dishes prepared by the villagers of Punaria!"

Choruses of cheers echoed the square and people began to eat. Just as Siara took a piece of chicken from the large platter in front of her, she felt a hand clap her shoulder. "Hey! Sorry we're late!"

She turned in annoyance to see her sixteen year old brother Damien smiling cheerfully at her with his friend Eosur at his side. "We were out climbing the trees and we just got back now."

"I can tell, you're filthy," Siara said disgustedly. "Go home and wash up."

"Please, there's no time for that!" Damien laughed.

A third boy that Siara didn't know came over with three large cups of a foaming beverage. "You're drinking?" Siara exclaimed in disbelief. "You know what Mother said about that!"

"She won't find out. She's too busy with the other Council people."

"But Father..."

"Doesn't approve of it either," a voice cut in.