Chapter 5

Siara’s muscles froze solid as Eris looked smugly at her. Eris on a mission with Skylone and Siara? She knew that it was going to be trouble. She forced a smile onto her face and looked at Eris. “Delightful.”

  “There are two more arriving tomorrow, even I do not yet know who they are,” Sylvania exclaimed.

  “They are the Wood Runner and the Raven then?” Skylone asked.

  “Indeed.”

  Wood Runners are beings that inhabited the villages of Glae, Crossen and Aeylln. There were others scattered about the regions, but they kept the three Woodland Villages well contained and secluded. Like Dark Runners, they also had markings on their chins, necks and shoulders, but theirs were a dark green instead of purple. They, along with Archers and Hunters, had spectacular vision and they could move at incredible speeds. It was said that Hunters were some kind of distant relative, because the Wood Runners had bred a certain animal to be a close companion, as the Hunters had done with wolves; except in this case, Wood Runners kept owls. They usually get along with other species and never cause any troubles.

  Ravens on the other hand are fierce, often deadly creatures. They are human when they chose to be, and if they choose, they turn into a raven-like creature. Their skin is covered in feathers when they turn, and their nails turn to talons. There was sketchiness between Raven villages. Most believed in Ski, but there were some few that had turned to the darker side of life.

  Siara was somewhat nervous to meet a Raven. The Wood Runners were good creatures- she had met a few before. But she had never seen a Raven.

  Sylvania broke Siara’s train of thought and asked Siara, “Besides a bow, what is your weapon of choice?”

  The members of the table looked at her and she stammered, “I…I have some skill with a…a glaive.”

  Eris snorted. “A glaive? That is no weapon.”

  Siara narrowed her eyes. “And what is your weapon of choice, Eris?”

  “Mace.” she smirked.

  Rolling her eyes, Siara looked at Sylvania, hoping for a saving statement. Thankfully, one came. “Siara, once you’re finished, you’re welcome to look around the castle. I can get someone to escort you, if you’d like.”

  “Thank you, Sylvania,” Siara smiled. “I think I’ll do that.”

  She set down her utensils and stood up. “Thank you all for joining me and welcoming me here. I am truly grateful for you.”

  She pushed her chair back and began down towards the Dining Hall doors. There was a guard waiting outside that smiled and bowed to her. “Siara, my lady, my name is Kalix. Is there anywhere I can take you tonight?”

  “I’d like to take the shortest route to the river.”

  “Of course,”

  Kalix led the way back down the corridor whence she first came from the bedroom and turned towards a staircase. The two made their way down four corridors and two stairwells before emerging into the cool night air. They had appeared in a small green opening surrounded by trees. About forty feet ahead was a lit path, aglow with some kind of purple light. “Thank you, Kalix,” Siara said. “I will go alone from here.”

  “If there is anything you should, please do not hesitate to call me,” he said, bowing.

  With that, Kalix disappeared into the night.

  Slowly, Siara started towards the lit path, then, about ten feet before she met the dirt, she stopped to take off her shoes. Then, she began down the trail.