sixteen

:: Laila ::

I get off of Jack and stand to my feet. Once I do, I feel a wet spot on my inner thigh from the ice, fairly close to the area where you don't want a wet spot to be; mainly because people would assume you peed yourself. 

"Great, now my jeans are wet," I groan as I sit on the cushion next to Jack considering he was now sitting up.

"That's not the only thing that's wet," he whispers in my ear and I can almost hear the smirk plastered on his face. 

I inhale a sharp breath as I turn away from him, trying to hide the crimson rising to my cheeks.

"Woah, what the fuck happened to your face bro?" Sam questions when they both finally get a good look at Jack's appearance.

"Take a wild guess," Jack seethes, his anger quickly pulsating to the surface. 

Sam goes into thought for a few seconds before a look of realization spreads across his face. "Cameron," he hisses. Not even as a question. In fact, he states it in more of a factual tone, like he knew it had to be him. 

So, I'm guessing they all have beef with him. Why? What's the history between them?

"What the hell does he want now?" Nate comments as Sam and himself walk over to us. Sam sits on the chair opposite of us and Nate sits on the coffee table so he can sit face to face with Jack.

"What do you think? The money I owe him," Jack responds. Of course it's about money; everything is about money. "I have to get it to him 2 weeks from now."

"How much do you owe him?" I ask, taking it upon myself to join in on the conversation.

"Two thousand. It used to be more, but I've been paying it off." 

"You can have my share of the money from the bust from a few days. It's the least I can do," I assure, but Jack shakes his head.

"No, I can't do that. I got myself into this shit and it's my job to get myself out. I appreciate it though," Jack explains, giving me a warm smile before his mouth turns to a rigid line once again.

"Jack no, you can have my money. After all, you guys have been letting me stay here. If you want, we can even do another one and you'll probably be all set with what you owe after that."

"Are you sure?" he asks, pulling his face in one that was skeptical over my intentions. 

"Yes, I'm sure. I don't really need it for anything at the moment," I insist, nodding my head in assurance. 

Without saying anything, he looks at me and stares at my eyes intently. He stays like that for a few seconds before I see his eyes start to scan my whole face instead, notably staying on my eyes and lips the longest. "Thank you, Laila. That should help a lot," he smiles, nodding his head in thanks before he turns away and looks at Sam instead. He did it in a way like he was shy and I know that isn't the case at all, which is why it confuses me.

He's probably not used to the whole 'people doing stuff for you without anything in return' thing. After all, I'm not either.

~

"Can you do me a favor?" Jack asks while we're all sitting on the couch, eating pizza and drinking Jack Daniel's. I look at him, signaling him that he can continue. "Can you load this while I use the bathroom real quick?" he asks, as he picks up his gun from under the coffee table, as well as handing me a few bullets.

I pull a facial out of inexperience. "I think one of the other guys would be better for that job," I admit, taking another bite out of my pizza.