2: The Letter

Disclaimer: Anything you recognize belongs to J.K. Rowling. I only co-own this plot and own a character or two...

Chapter Two: The Letter

After a seemingly long breakfast, Harry follows Vernon and Petunia into the living room and sits on the sofa across from their seats in the armchairs. "Harry. There's something we need to tell you."

"Several things, actually." Petunia interjects. Vernon nods and continues.

"First of all, you're a wizard."

"Me? A wizard? But I'm... Just Harry. I'm just Harry."

"Your parents were both wizards. Your father comes from a long line of wizards. Your mother and your aunt Petunia come from a line of non-wizards, but your mother received powers. We don't know why. We don't know how or from where. All we know is that she is considered a witch."

"Is? Didn't my mother die the same night as my father?" They look at each other and Harry jumps on the carefully thought-out tense, smart for his age. "Are you telling me she's still alive?"

"In the physical sense, yes." Harry furrows his eyebrows. "The night that your father was killed, the magic bounced off of your mother, and hit her attacker. Would you like to read the letter that the magical school headmaster left us the night he left you on our doorstep?" Harry nods while Vernon gets up, walks over to the fireplace and takes down the 'empty' cookie jar. Out of it, he pulls a worn envelope and a nearly new one. "The first is the explanation that the headmaster of their school left when he left you on our doorstep. The second is magicked so only you, the true recipient, could read it." Vernon explains as he sits back down. Harry skips the first letter and instinctively goes straight for the second.

November 1, 1981

"Dear Harry,

My name is Albus Dumbledore, and I am Headmaster at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. I knew your parents while they were at Hogwarts, as well as for their years after they graduated. It is with deep regret that I must inform you, and your aunt and uncle, about their death at the hands of The Dark Lord. You are too young to read this yet, but I hope that this reaches you before you come to Hogwarts. I have many theories about the night that your father died. I believe that the reason your mother did not suffer the same fate is because of her love for you. She loved you so much, she could never picture a future for you in which she doesn't exist. As of now, she is in a magically induced coma in the Wizarding hospital, St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Not even the best healer is sure of what might awaken her.

I hope this letter finds you well and that we will see you at Hogwarts in the fall of 1991.

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Headmaster of Hogwarts, Grand Sorcerer, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot

Harry blinked twice before everything went blackand he hit the floor.