Dinner with the Walkers

As soon as I got home and parked my car, I can already see my dad panicking, not the actual panic like jumping or whatever, but the facial expression on his face is a mix of worry and panic. This might be so important to him then. I got my bags and went inside the house.

“Hi?” I said, not sure if I’m asking or greeting.

“Hey” he said looking down to the fireplace

“Look, dad, I’m sorry about the ‘Harry Thompson’ thing” I said, I don’t know why I said, I just feel like saying it.

“I know, you don’t like him, do you?” he asked. Yes. No. Yes. No. What?!

“N-no” I lied

“Good” What?!

“Why?”

“I have someone for you to meet” he smiled

“Dad, please don’t play matchmaker, you’re gonna make me look like a slut and Mr. Walker’s son sure won’t be interested in me” I complained

“Come on, Millie, you haven’t even met the guy yet” he said

“Why are you doing this?” I asked

“Because I don’t want you hanging around with Thompson” he said

“What’s the matter with that? Why do you hate them so much, let alone, Him?” I asked

“I don’t hate them, it’s just that I wanted the company to be at the top” he said

“So what if we’re the second best? at least we’re happy working, who knows, maybe they torture their employees to work harder”

“Millie-“ he said like I’m making no sense. Silence.

“It’s not about the position isn’t it?” I said.

“Drop it, Millie- just, fix yourself, wear a nice dress” he said. It isn’t about the position. I knew it. But what past does my dad have with the Thompsons? Gosh, Drop it, Millie, it’s not like it’s important to your life. I sighed and let the conversation drop. I rushed to my bedroom and opened my bags, I actually bought a whole new outfit. It’s just a simple black dress, an inch above my knee, and white belt, and that’s about it. My shoes were silver gladiator heels, and the rest were my accessories.

I spent almost twenty minutes fixing myself, after I’m done, I walked near my humungous mirror and saw myself. I’m not gonna say I’m gorgeous, if I really am, I think I look presentable to my future husband. Who knows? My dad could’ve said I’m on sale. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’ll have an engagement ring next week. I just laughed at the thought of it, my glossy pink coated lips were now smiling. Looking at myself now, I feel like I’m not me, I can’t see Amelia Clarisse Fox in that picture. Instead, I see my mom. Am I beginning to be like her? I pushed away the thoughts of my mom and try not to start crying. I grabbed my silver purse and went downstairs. I saw Jerry waiting for me. I opened my mouth to ask where my dad is but he spoke.

“Your father has already left” he said

“Doesn’t he always?” I said. Jerry laughed and revealed his wrinkles. Jerry has been with our family before I was even born, no wonder he knows us very well. He was like my dad’s bestfriend but not saying it in public for he keeps his professional level, well, professional. But how does Jerry accept that? It may have hurt him that my dad made him, you know, a driver, guard and my bestfriend, aside from Connie. He was always there for me and I feel comfortable talking to him with about anything. I sighed and let reality sink in. I just walked behind him towards the car.

“You never changed, Millie” He said getting the car door for me. He then went to the drivers’ seat and started the engine.

“What?” I laughed