Chapter Fourteen: Goddess of the Night...Primordial Deity or Prostitute?

A/N: Long chapter to thank you all for your great feedback on the title of this work. Overall majority thought that I should keep the title as it is, and that if it ever did change it should fit better to the story than the ones I suggested. I'm really grateful, thank you!!

Media is an artwork by arabeske-art.deviantart.com, I think it encompasses this chapter's events quite well, and if you look closely, Hades is pulling winter in as he kisses Persephone. Adorbs.

I would face my husband, yes-- if only I could find him.

Bella slept through the night on my bed, snoring away like a princess whilst I huddled on the chair, occasionally flicking through the library books when I couldn't snooze. I learned little, perhaps due to my dazed state. When the first beginnings of a grey dawn grace my curtains, I sigh with relief. Dressing quickly in the plainest gown I could find within the wardrobe and pinning my unruly brown hair, I stride with purpose towards the door in my satin slippers. I fling it open, causing the maid to stumble who had been on her way into my room.

She stares at me, uncertain what to do. As if her mistress has never woken herself before. My gaze tries hard not to look guilty, as I feel as if I'm sneaky around here, when in reality, I'm only plotting against my husband, who ordered the sacrifice of young maidens for hundreds of years in order to find one missing one.

She stutters. 'My lady, what are you doing awake? And dressed in such a solemn gown, indeed, and your hair is awry! Hell, is everything okay?' Something flashes across her face, like an understanding, and she glances conspiratorially left and right. 'I won't tell my lady, promise. They were all saying that he would come to you of a night, but I never spread it, and I won't now--'

What is she talking about? I wonder. But when I hear the telltale snore, and the maid's blush, I realise what she's thinking. Bella's snores are so loud, it's clear there's someone else in my room: just not who this girl thinks is in there. And not for the same reasons.

'I...' I can't even think whether I want to contradict her or not. She winks and bustles away, telling me she'll come back when I call her, and that I should ask for Eryn. I don't tell her that I will never willingly call her.

Sighing, I slip my room key into the pocket of my gown, before shutting the door on the sleeping Sybella. I catch a glimpse of the girl as I shut the door; head lolling, mouth open, odd snorting sounds coming from her throat.

Shaking my head, I make my way down the stairway, each spiral counting down to the bottom of the steps. The hallways are silent once more, unsettling. I bite my lip from making any noise, and sneak unseen through the palace, down to Hadrian's basement.

The air grows cooler the closer I get, until I reach the big brass doors. On them is a small piece of paper, folded and tagged with the name "Nerissa", wedged carefully in the crack. I pull it out, quickly opening the precise folds and reading the message within.

To my little wife,

I regret to tell you that once again I will not be able to take you reaping, my work demands my attention once more. Rest assured that I am thinking of you, and will take you out before the week is out.

Yours,

Hadrian

Crushing the message, I scowl. He's busy again, busy with what? He doesn't appear to be in the palace. And if he isn't reaping, perhaps...

Perhaps he left the mask behind? Along with all those books to tell me how to use his power?

And, if he'd been extra nice, maybe he left his chamber door unlocked?