Chapter 9

I started to dream. Everything seemed so real to me. I could feel myself walk and shudder in the cool breezes of air. I felt every rock and piece of gravel under my boots. The town laid out before me was intricate in detail, every window and door looking as it was in reality. The vividness of the dream only added to the eerie effect the dream made on me.

The dream started with me wandering down a dirt road. It was gloomy outside, large, grey clouds covering up every last inch of the blue sky up above. A thick fog had settled, obscuring my view of the street ahead of me. I shuffled through the heavy mist, squinting as I watched my step. Through the fog, I started to recognize the buildings in Goldcrest. I didn't even question what I was doing there. I simply kept walking ahead.

A frigid breeze blew by, making my whole body tremble. As I went further down the road, the shaking got worse. My muscles started to hurt as my body continued to quiver, my limbs twitching violently. I saw a dark figure in the distance, the fog concealing most of their body. I limped towards them, shuddering. "H-help me," I croaked, my throat growing raspy and dry. The figure didn't move. "Please," I pleaded, my voice growing weaker as I started to shake more. My hands were trembling uncontrollably. I could feel hot tears slip down my cheek. They didn't turn around. They simply started to walk forward. "Wait! Please!" I screamed as much as my voice would allow me. They started to move faster, disappearing into the dark fog. I let out a weak, pitiful cry, my voice cracking with every noise I made. I fell to my knees, my body twitching and shaking against my will. I could feel my throat start to close, my breaths shallow.

The sound of laughter started to echo in my ears, the noise chilling me to the bone. I looked around me. A circle of people stood around me, all their backs turned. I lunged at one, clawing at their clothes frantically. "Please," I said, my voice almost inhuman. They kicked me, leaving me on the ground, my face buried in the dirt. I could feel myself being pulled up roughly by my collar. I could feel my hair being stroked, a gentle "Shhhh" ringing in my ear. I started to relax as much as possible, still convulsing uncontrollably. I suddenly saw the hand of the person calming me as they brushed their fingers over my scalp. Pale, skinny, grey fingers dangled over my eyes. I let out a scream, which was quickly cut off by my lack of breath. The woman cradled my head, wrapping her arms around my neck loosely. The two other women emerged from the thick veil of fog, stalking towards me. The woman holding me gently caressed my cheek and rocked me. "It can all end. It doesn't have to end this way," She whispered into my ear. I let out a cry and started to squirm around as the two other women crouched down one of them cupping my chin, digging their sharp, rigged nails into my skin. I let out a whimper.

"Why aren't you helping? Please, somebody!" I cried out with my last bit of breath, watching the circle of people leave and walk into the fog. I squeezed my eyes shut.

My eyes flew open, sunlight nearly blinding me as I lifted my eyelids. I felt out of breath, as if I had gone underwater for too long before resurfacing. My throat was sore and dry. I felt as if I couldn't fill my lungs up with air. I dug my nails into the cart's floor beneath me, my fingertips skidding across the rough wood. Rae turned to me, a concerned frown on her face. "Is everything all right?" She asked. She scooted closer, examining my face with care. I nodded. "Y-yeah, I'm fine," I said. I hid my shaking hands in my lap. I didn't want to worry Rae, she had enough troubles already without me becoming sick and useless. Rae kept frowning, her eyes searching my face. "Are you sure?" She leaned a bit closer. I could feel her breath on my face. I quickly nodded, my hands starting to tremble even more. She pursed her lips before pulling back. She turned to me again. "If there's anything wrong, just let me know, okay?" She sat still in her seat, occasionally glancing back at me. Whenever she looked at me, I quickly turned my head away, hiding my face. I pretended to be interesting in the passing scenery, not wanting to face her.